A Valentines Party + A Story

>> Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A couple of years ago Mr. Sabbe and I had the pleasure of hosting a Valentines Day couples shower at our house in Memphis. It was so much fun to have an adult Valentines Day party with all of our best friends.

 I had purchased a heart shaped cookie cutter that year. As you can see, I used it liberally.

And if I could have boxed up this crew and moved them with me to Boston I would have. I think between the 5 of us we threw about 2 dozen showers while we were in Memphis. I miss these people.
Last year I made mustache pops.

Now for the story:
Being the crafter that I am, I so wish I could show ya'll what I made Mr. Sabbe for our first Valentines Day. We still have it somewhere in storage. We had been dating 1 whole month when Valentines Day rolled around. Mind you, I already knew I was probably going to marry him. I was a sophomore in college and he was a junior. So to show my affection, I drive myself to Joann's and buy a round hat box and a jar of decoupage. Then I proceed to go home and cut out every pink and red image from every fashion magazine my roommate and I had in our dorm room. I also cut out words like "romance" "like" "date"...etc {bleeh, I know} and glued them all over the box. Then about an hour before he picks me up I attempt to bake cookies in our scary sorority dorm kitchen. I burn them to a crisp. I pick out the ok ones, put them inside the cardboard box {still hot} and head on down for my date. It was actually a group date. Two of my friends were dating Mr. Sabbe's friends at the time, so they got together to cook dinner for us. And here I come rolling in with my huge decoupaged love box, smelling like burnt cookies. And in front of all of his friends I present him with the all time greatest cheesy gift and the sweet boy receives it with pride. And that's when I knew I was definitely going to marry him. I found the box in his closet 6 months later, cookies still inside.

Remind me later to tell you about the time I made him a hand painted, collage, quote mirror for his 21st birthday. I mean, what 21 year old doesn't want a puff painted mirror with famous quotes?? What is wrong with me?!


LindsB February 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM  

There is NOTHING wrong with you at all, I think it is beyond cute!

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime February 2, 2011 at 2:29 PM  

that is such a sweet story! i love the heart shaped pies :)

Jessica February 2, 2011 at 3:10 PM  

That's real funny. I love it that he just kept the cookies in it instead of throwing them out and telling you they were delicious.

When we were dating in college, my husband had this weird thing where he always talked about how cool it would be to have a white tiger for a pet, so I printed out a bazillion white tigers from the internet and made a huge collage for him with a picture of us in the middle, and I think some Seigfried and Roy jokes sprinkled around. He loved it. We were such a weird couple...

Annelise,  February 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM  

Your little story made my slushy, wet day!

Holly February 2, 2011 at 7:13 PM  

I just laughed out loud at your sweet and cheesy gifts to Bryan. Especially the puff paint mirror. Haha. You're so cute.

Cyndie February 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM  

Steph!! I love the story of the cheesy homemade gifts! We all did it! :) I actually drove by the old white house in Sequoyah yesterday and thought how funny that was so long ago! :) Happy V-day to the 3 of you!

Vicky @ Pearl District February 2, 2011 at 10:32 PM  

What a beautiful story!!! How sweet! Oh what a girl will do for her LOVE!! Wow!!! Can you believe I don't have a heart cookie cutter?? Uh, shame on me!!!

Again, very cute story! I really enjoy ALL your posts!!


Lili February 3, 2011 at 7:51 AM  

I'm seriously laughing so hard right now! How did we not know each other at UT!? You are too funny!

paula February 3, 2011 at 10:56 AM  

what a great idea! I adore it...all of it :)

carlee {deliciously organized} February 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM  

Oh my. I seriously love your honesty about this. Totally worth sharing. Chris would be so jealous. Maybe I should make something homemade this year? You've inspired me. Also, I'm very bummed I missed out on this party. If only I lived there and knew you then.

Full House February 4, 2011 at 9:36 AM  

Seriously those are the gifts that mean the most...love it! I forgot about puff paint though.

Kimberly Moore February 4, 2011 at 11:53 AM  

I can totally relate!! I've definitely made my fair share of gifts covered in glitter, stickers, feathers, pictures, and the like. And cookies, well, I just stick to cupcakes. No joke...

What a cute story though. I loved that you found the cookies still in the box! It's really the thought that counts in the end, right?

Jennifer Anderson February 5, 2011 at 9:59 AM  

love the cookies story!! and love that you posted about the v-day party, we had such fun times in M-town!

amy February 9, 2011 at 4:45 PM  

There was nothing wrong with you, you were in a sorority(I was too) and that's what we crafty ones did in our spare time.Paint pens and magazines cuttings were a staple. Plastic cups, picture frames all received the paint pen treatment:)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP