Before and After: DIY Closet

>> Tuesday, December 14, 2010

So the one thing Boston brownstones do not come with is storage. We have two coat closets, period. Mine is in the living room and Mr. Sabbe uses the one in our bedroom. As a result, we have gotten really creative with storage since moving up here. Our bed is on cinder blocks, ala college dorm days. Our suitcases are full of out of season clothes. We keep golf clubs in the trunk of the car. And we constantly purge. The "second bedroom", which I use as an office, is very oddly shaped. It's kind of like the number 8, without the holes cut out. When we found out I was pregnant we decided we could make the second bedroom into two rooms, an office and a baby nursery. The best part, we were going to section off the middle into one large (for Boston) closet.  I went to Home Depot and had two rods cut to fit. I also purchased 2 ceiling mounted curtain tracks.

 Please ignore the shelf mess. That's another project for another day.
Also please ignore the fact that I did not iron the curtains before I hung them. I am hoping while I am away over the holidays the wrinkles will miraculously fall out.

While I was at it, I also made another fabric shade with some fun Ikea fabric.
The unfortunate looking back side of this closet is going to be a fantastic baby nursery in 3 short months, fingers crossed.

Also, on a random note, can you tell my camera is on the fritz? It's driving me nuts. The last two images are so yellow and dark, bleh. Did you know that expensive camera lenses go bad? I had no idea. Apparently mine is "worn out" according to the camera store guy. Mr. Sabbe and I went to play with some new, wider angle, fancy lenses last week. Hopefully I've been good this year.


Danielle Oakey Interiors December 14, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

i love your shade and i had no idea that lenses go bad, boo!

Lili December 14, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

I didn't know lenses went bad either amd in such a short time! Maybe get a 2nd opinion before you go get another one, just in case.

Oh and I LOVE that fabric!and how you tied it into both the bottom of the curtain and the shade.

Full House December 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM  

what a HUGE difference. looks so good..even with a camera on the fritz.

Stephanie December 14, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

The curtain closet & shade looks beautiful! I'm totally inspired.

Emily December 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM  

it looks sooo good! i can't wait for baby sabbe to get here :)

Vicki @ Piccolo Takes All December 14, 2010 at 2:47 PM  

I'm not clear on the layout of the rooms... That closet really does look like a doorway... Is there no separate door from the hall into the second room?

As for your not ironing the curtain, how dare you??? ;) But seriously, I didn't even notice the wrinkles. I never iron anything, if I can avoid it. My "secret" weapon is a spray bottle filled with water. Just spritz the problem fabric, and hang it until dry. It won't look "crisp", but it should be virtually wrinkle-free.

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss December 14, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

I cannot wait to see more. Love the new closet and the fabric shade on the window!

Saara @ GEORGE Interior Design December 14, 2010 at 4:37 PM  

is there another door into the room behind the closet? very creative! we used to live in a smaller place, and had my hubby's hockey stuff in the trunk for 2 years!

Anna Liesemeyer December 15, 2010 at 11:14 AM  

Beautifully done. Its amazing what simple fixes can do!
Thanks for sharing this Stephannie!

salwar kameez December 16, 2010 at 6:53 AM  

cool.. its the work of a creative interior decorator...

carlee {deliciously organized} December 16, 2010 at 1:41 PM  

You are so crafty. I love the closet. I adore the shades. Everything is looking mighty good.

Anonymous,  February 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM  

Your mode of explaining all in this paragraph is genuinely good, all be able to simply know
it, Thanks a lot.

Stop by my web blog :: buy a car with bad credit
My web site :: buying a car with bad credit,buy a car with bad credit,how to buy a car with bad credit,buying a car,buy a car,how to buy a car

Anonymous,  February 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM  

Sіmilar to the Fοгd Fiеѕtа and the Honda Fit, thе neω Fοcus is ԁefinitely faг mοre sporty than the οldег modеls.

The LS and the ΕCΟ come standard with a manual tranѕmisѕiоn and thе others сome stanԁard with
аn automatіс. Just foг your detaіls, Ѕmaгt can also be an automotive label of Daimler AG, founded іn 1994, in Boblingen, Gеrmany.

Alsο ѵisit my weblog How to buy a car with bad credit

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP