DIY Re-Upholstered Office Chairs {before and after}

>> Tuesday, March 27, 2012

If you live in Boston and do not read Crocodile Tears you are missing out. Keyse basically pulls everything cool off of Craig's List and does a weekly round up post. It. is. awesome. And she's funny. She calls people out for posting pics with crap all over their furniture, or my pet peeve, when someone puts $1. Nothing is ever $1. A couple of months ago she posted two retro, metal office chairs someone had listed for $15 in Beverly MA....$15! The next morning I snagged them up.

In the beginning I thought I would just leave them red. They were cute enough. But after I made the headboard, they started to look a little too much like something you would see in an AutoZone shop. So I rummaged through my stacks of remnant fabric and pulled out a gray linen blend and gray-blue cotton. I set Hulu to play through all the new Office episodes and before they set up the new Sabre store I had this.
The one thing I did realize after the first chair was complete was that the red leather definitely hid the natural bulges of the foam and batting better than the linen. But oh well, I was half way there.
They are not perfect and the metal polish did not quite work as well I had imagined it would. But I really like them a million times better than the plastic Office Depot chair that used to live there. And for $7.50 a chair, you can't beat it. Here they are together.
p.s. Whose messy office is that in the background?? I came across this print a couple of months ago. 
I'm pretty sure it was made just for me.


Amelia @ House Pretty March 27, 2012 at 1:16 PM  

I love the new colour - especially the piping! You have mad upholstery skills!

LindsB March 27, 2012 at 1:26 PM  

love them! Now that you have those two under your belt, I'll have to drop mine off now :)

christine {bijouandboheme} March 27, 2012 at 1:35 PM  

Love the colour and the white piping!

pve design March 27, 2012 at 2:00 PM  

Did you see that green CB2 desk and file cabinet?
I am seeing lots of things for your messy but highly creative office. That was a compliment!:)

kendi March 27, 2012 at 2:54 PM  

Can we please be desk neighbors again in our next life...or at least live in the same city! miss your creative corner of inspiration :)

ss March 27, 2012 at 2:56 PM  

Kendi, nothing would make me happier. I have you a spot right next to me. Come on over!

Keyse March 27, 2012 at 8:44 PM  

so cool! thanks for posting and linking me :) they look great, love the piping detail

Lili March 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM  

Super cute! Once again a project you make look super simple but I'm sure if I attempted it I'd end up bleeding from at least 3 places and have something stitched to the carpet. Well done! :) And I love the print!

annie March 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM  

you have skills...okay that sounds so much better in my head because it's a line from "knight and Day"...annnnyway...your chairs look amazing!

Holly March 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM  

I think they look really great! I love the lighter blue piping you chose.

Executive desks April 7, 2012 at 3:10 AM  

Fantastic! This is the best post.. Some of these photos look like actual this office chairs! Very inspiring..

Home Office Furniture July 17, 2012 at 3:41 AM  

I am a home-based business man and I find these tips very helpful for my business especially that I employ many employees.

Online Reality Ltd March 8, 2013 at 4:51 AM  

Your skills on re-upholstering the office chairs are impressive! Its new look is simple and neat to look at. :)

ROSE R June 9, 2016 at 4:29 PM  

Awesome post!
I am reading your post daily!
So so amazing your post!
I've been following your work for years, but this is the first time I've commented. Your book is wonderful and it's finally given me the confidence to begin my first Windsor chair.For more information visit Visit My Website. Thanks!

maryf September 20, 2016 at 11:11 AM  

both of these are looking amazing, however grayish/black one are more decent. office furniture ideas is always appreciated by me as they are worthy of praise. :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP