The Nursery: Chapter 5 {crib sheets are easy}

>> Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Attention anyone who can turn on a sewing machine. You can sew your own crib sheets! This was such an easy project. I got the idea from this tutorial but then as usual, went rogue. A couple of weeks ago I found this Robert Kaufman fabric for 40% off at a local fabric store. I thought it be fun with the rug, so I bought several yards.

Step One: I laid the mattress over the fabric, left the full width and cut the top and bottom to match. Then I pinned the corners together and sewed. We went with a foam mattress, which is super light, and made this part of the project very easy.
Step Two: Once I had the fabric squared up on the mattress, I did a zig-zag stitch around the raw edges. I do not have a surger. I did this in lieu of folding a hem because the fabric is only 42" wide. I needed to maintain all the width possible or I would run the risk of it being too short on the sides.

Step Three: I cut four 10" pieces of elastic and pinned their center points on the four corners of the sheet. I sewed with a zig-zag stitch ,starting from the middle, and worked my way out in both directions. I stretched the elastic as I sewed, just like in this project. The result was a nice, fitted corner. And that is it!
The skirt was even easier. It still needs some tweaking. I will come back to that later. But the moral of the post: do not spend a billion dollars on cute crib sheets! If you can turn on your sewing machine, you can make your own crib sheets! And with all the fun fabric out there, the possibilities are endless!

Another Bonus: I like it so much, I'm no longer sad about going sans bumper.
 

16 comments:

WendyLou February 22, 2011 at 6:38 PM  

Love it!! Just today I had to throw away a very sad, holey crib sheet. It lasted 13 years and 4 kids. Crib sheets are worth the investment in time and money :)

Lovely Little Nest February 22, 2011 at 8:04 PM  

I love it! Thanks for posting this tutorial. It will definitely come in handy in the future. :)

courteneykay February 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM  

wow, great job! I am impressed and going to save this in my DIY files!

GEORGE INTERIOR DESIGN February 23, 2011 at 12:32 AM  

soo cute!! when are you due? I'm having soo much fun with my little designer in training, Selby. do you know what you're having??!

Vicky @ Pearl District February 23, 2011 at 1:45 AM  

Wow! You are sooo good!!! The baby crib sets at baby stores are sooo bland and boring! This is such a great way to incorporate your own style in the baby room! You are sooo brave! I was too scared! lol

xoxo

the Frugal Ecologist February 23, 2011 at 8:21 AM  

I love the navy and orange - looking forward to seeing your finished nursery!

LindsB February 23, 2011 at 9:19 AM  

how did you pin the corners? Better yet, I'll need to come over for a personal lesson soon :)

lizziefitz February 23, 2011 at 10:07 AM  

It looks amazing! I adore the navy and orange combo:0

Stephanie February 23, 2011 at 1:39 PM  

that is super easy! I totally bookmarking this for future use. It's hard to find baby bedding that doesn't have stupid animals on it. I love the print you picked - mod & contemporary, but still fun!

carlee {deliciously organized} February 23, 2011 at 1:54 PM  

I love your fabric choice.

I can't even sew on a button.

Bella February 23, 2011 at 4:46 PM  

Love the look of this :). Very cute.

Heather February 24, 2011 at 9:47 AM  

That's awesome! Love the fabric choice. The nursery is going to be soo cute!

Dana {Southern Inspired} February 24, 2011 at 3:20 PM  

Love it!! Those colors look so good together!! So impressed with your sheet-making skills :)

Courtney and Jason G. February 28, 2011 at 10:25 PM  

I promise. DO not feel bad about sans bumper. Graham actually crawled up on his- figured out how to make it support him... and we took it out. He's been FINE with it.

You are amazing! Everything is truly amazing.And what a gift to baby Sabbe that you did it all with your sweet hands. really special.

Brandi March 5, 2011 at 8:59 AM  

Oh my goodness, you are very clever! Thanks so much for sharing your tutorial!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP