The End of an Era

>> Monday, August 23, 2010

If you have been reading this blog for a while, you will know that I spent the good part of last Fall looking for a deer head for my living room wall. Well, right before Winter settled in I finally found one and I was SO excited. I know some people are probably way over the taxidermy fad, but I was not there yet. Last Friday I spent some time working on a collage wall in our living room before Mr. Sabbe and I went out to eat the best chinese food ever.

Hmmm, what is the random bracket hanging in the middle?
That's right, we came home to a busted deer head on the floor!! And even worse, it landed right on top of the brand new tv and there is now a huge dent in the back of it (which luckily is only the backside) But still! Can you believe that? It could have killed someone. As you can see, the wall anchor and screw are still hanging there with the mounting bracket. But the head and antlers are porcelain and when they fell off, they shattered everywhere. Bad Ebay seller and bad, bad Chinese manufacturer! (sticker on back) Lesson learned, I will no longer be hanging potentially dangerous art on my walls.

I am officially over the taxidermy trend.

20 comments:

Design Esquire August 23, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

I'm glad your TV survived the deer attack.

daisymay aka Chantele August 23, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

Oh no, your were so chuffed about finding that head, I remember you first blogging it! Gutting! Glad the TV isnt too badly damaged! Daisy Dayz Home

Honeybee Ministries August 23, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

Is it weird that I feel really sad for the deer? :) I know it's not real, but its broken face just looks really pathetic. :( So sorry for your loss.

Deliciously Organized August 23, 2010 at 10:45 AM  

I'm so sorry about Burt. That is very very sad. BUT, I LOVE that color, adore that collage and can't WAIT to come over and see the rest. It's looking amazing!!!

Jessica August 23, 2010 at 10:49 AM  

that picture is so tragic! and it really was the perfect completion to your collage wall :(

Lauren August 23, 2010 at 11:01 AM  

R.I.P. sweet deer! You always looked so nice...all dressed up (mustache, etc.)!

Belly August 23, 2010 at 11:03 AM  

Goodness, lucky no one was there to get hurt!

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime August 23, 2010 at 11:04 AM  

OH NO! RIP- how sad!! Poor tv too :(

Lili August 23, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

Oh NO!!! Poor Uncle Buck!!! And to think he sat right over your heads for almost 6 months at your old place.

I now know why the Hub say NEVER hand heavy stuff over the TV.

Erika at BluLabel Bungalow August 23, 2010 at 2:49 PM  

Wow, that was a close one...and glad it didn't ruin the TV! On another note...loving the kelly green wall and convex mirror. I want one, too!

pve design August 23, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

Oh dear,
Now that is what I call a deer in the headlights!
I mean the tv lights! Sorry to hear about your deer tragedy.
pve

robin August 23, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

how sad!!!!! I hate when treasures break...it's rather traumatic and a bit of a forced growth spurt!

Jenn from Much to My Delight August 23, 2010 at 9:54 PM  

So sorry for your loss! Did you know they make corrugated cardboard deer heads now? That might be a safer option if you're not ready to say goodbye to your deer friend.

freesparrow August 24, 2010 at 12:25 AM  

hey, but your collage is looking good. and the green wall! congrats on getting your living room done!

p.s. just in case you haven't heard of him, I thought I'd tell you about John Mark Mcmillan. You probably know about him since you are southern and so is he. He is amazing. I just found out about him tonight and I'm already telling everyone I know about him.

Emily August 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM  

oh no! tragic! glad nothing was too damaged. and i need to try that chinese restaurant. mmmm. love the color of the wall too. looks great!

manuel August 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM  

oh no!

i just saw that restoration hardware has some cast resin antlers that are pretty cool! I have the roost noble stag but it's a little overwhelming in size... super cool though! I hope you find another one soon!

Michelle August 27, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

Oh no! Sorry your poor deer died, I hate when stuff like that happens. Lucky my husband is the kind of man who would have super glued it to the wall! I LOVE your wall color though, holy man, what a stunning wall.

Andrea August 30, 2010 at 8:56 PM  

Poor deer..poor dear..and poor tv. How sad! Btw, I loooove your green walls. Fantastic choice. As usual.

jonahliza September 17, 2010 at 1:14 AM  

aw man. i'm sorry for the loss. that sucks.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP