The Elms

>> Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Saturday Mr. Sabbe and I took a day trip to Newport, RI. The best thing about living in New England is day trips. We did not have any particular plans once we got there, but as we drove around we spotted the Elms Mansion and knew we had to go inside. It was amazing. I showcase a great deal of modern interior design on this blog, but I am honestly a fan of any style of design done well.  I loved all of my history classes in design school and walking through the Elms was like walking through a text book. The family lived in New York and only used this house 8-12 weeks out of the year (can you imagine!?) They made their money in the coal industry. The estate was constructed from 1899 to 1901 and cost approximately 1.5 million dollars to build....for 8 weeks! again, can you imagine?

Is this fountain not the weirdest thing! How, in the age of women having to wear three layers of clothing, did this fly? Unfortunately photography was not allowed inside the mansion. But the tour got my wheels turning as to what I would do in a modern day Elms mansion...
My friend Cyndie sent me the image with the yellow drapery. That's her plan for her living room curtains. Can't wait to see the final product!

Do you remember the episode of Friends where Phoebe was so nervous to meet her boyfriend's parents and asked them in a fake New England accent, Where do you summer? Well in the early 1900's a good chunk of the social elite summered in Newport. There were atleast 6 more Elms size mansions on the same street. If you are ever in the area, it's definatley a site to see.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP