Commit it to Memory

>> Sunday, January 31, 2010

My new thing is doing a better job of committing things to memory. This includes everything from scripture memorization, to remembering how my TomTom got me to Ikea. I have also been making a better effort at actually studying design imagery. Whether it be magazine or blog, being a full time interior designer means I am inundated with fantastic imagery. And too often I smile, and say wow that's nice, I have to remember that {fill in the blank}....and then I don't. This week Brooke posted imagery from Anne Turner Carroll's kitchen that was published in the last issue of Cottage Living.

As I was studying these images I came upon a genius idea that could save a lot of kitchen renovations a lot of money!

She not only reused her existing cabinets, but she came up with the awesome idea to move them to the ceiling (if blocking is already there, that is an easy switch) which made room for that adorable shelf, but still left her with closed storage to hide all of the ugly things. I LOVE it! Seriously, love it!
Every client I have ever worked with would love to run their millwork to the ceiling. No one likes that dust shelf that a standard overhead cabinet creates. But running millwork to the ceiling is expensive. And that's why this little DIY is for sure going in the vault.

She sealed the deal with that thick crown molding, and my ever favorite white subway tiles. Good job Anne! Thanks for sharing Brooke!

17 comments:

Emily January 31, 2010 at 3:23 PM  

I LOVE this kitchen and have had it saved to my inspiration folder since fight sight. The colors are great!

I agree with the desire to commit to memory too. Don't you find there's so much inspiration out there it's so hard to keep track of? I wish my memory were better!

Jud and Bevin Nave January 31, 2010 at 5:33 PM  

love it....from the two toned cabinets, to the soapstone tops and subway tiles....CLASSIC. I have also seen this shelf done in glass and or stainless in modern designs!!! (ps, I [picked up design book today that you would love...it's called New Traditional. It's great for those of us that are southern (i.e toile post), but also love modern. check it out!

Lauren January 31, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

This is amazing! It makes me want to pull up my cabinets and paint them white! Oh, I wish! :)

Lili January 31, 2010 at 7:29 PM  

Oh I Love this Kitchen! I never liked subway tile before you started putting it up. I thought
ooooh way to much of a risk for stuff to get dirty and you have to regrout and stuff like that. Seeing this makes me think twice. Maybe it's worth it! =)

Susan Bang January 31, 2010 at 7:40 PM  

I am in amazement!! What a beautiful kitchen!! and thanks so much for answering my questions from the last entry. :)

Blueprint Bliss January 31, 2010 at 9:52 PM  

Love, love this kitchen. Thanks for the link!

I'm bad about forgetting things these days... I need to be better about committing things to memory!

Belle Bienveillance January 31, 2010 at 10:28 PM  

Such a practical kitchen update—love it! I concur on bible verse memorization...tough stuff.

Rebecca February 1, 2010 at 3:17 AM  

I LOVE it! It really is a genius idea - thanks for sharing. I've added a star in my google reader so I remember this post :)

PS. Your comment about skinny jeans made me smile. I've never actually managed to wear proper skinny jeans. I have a pair of slim fit straight leg and a pair of 'jeggings' from uniqlo - they are actual denim material but with an elastic waist - so comfy and I wear them aaaall the time :) Oh and I also had a slight obsession with those babydoll tops but have tried to stay away from them for a while..

Vicki @ Piccolo Takes All February 1, 2010 at 2:51 PM  

That IS a wonderful idea...Why, oh, WHY didn't we think of it 3 1/2 years ago when we started working on our kitchen (which, btw, is STILL yet to be "completed")??? This would have been an almost-perfect solution for us! Sigh...My husband would probably KILL me if I even suggested we back-track...

LindsB February 1, 2010 at 3:05 PM  

I cant wait to get my hands on my own kitchen to do this with- love this idea!

upcydown February 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM  

Ahhhh! I am so doing this to my kitchen. Seriously, next week we planned on tiling our countertops and back splash. I'm so glad I saw this before we started!

Deliciously Organized February 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM  

Moving the cabinets up was a really good call...this kitchen is one of my favorites. I agree on the commit to memory...

Annelise February 3, 2010 at 11:20 AM  

This is fantastic! I really really hate the upper cabinet space and love the idea of displaying pieces on a lower shelf.

I can't wait to stop renting!

Erin Roberts,  February 3, 2010 at 11:45 AM  

Love, love, love, love this kitchen!!!!!!!! I heart subway tile and any grey and white combination. I'm actually doing subway tile in my bath right now!

Kim,  February 4, 2010 at 8:42 AM  

New to your blog and I'm really enjoying it! I agree this is such a great idea. I noticed the new ceiling as well. Is it beaded board or tongue in groove, I don't know, but that gives it such a custom feel as well!

Melissa A. @ Design Delights February 10, 2010 at 10:00 PM  

This is such a great idea. I love this. Not something I would have thought of before.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP