DIY/Upcycled: Ruffle Cardigan

>> Sunday, November 8, 2009

I had some time this afternoon to attempt one of the items on my "to make" list and I really like how it turned out.

 I have had this cardigan since I was a sophomore in college.
I measured around the full length of the existing trim and tripled the number to get my ruffle length.

 Cut strips and sewed them into one long tube.
 Remember, I was originally inspired by this post. I used quilting thread to do the zigzag stitch and I think it worked really well. You can barely see the thread. Her tip on the fishing wire is great. I used button thread because I didn't have any fishing wire.
And because I have zero patience, I machine stitched the entire thing...so there are some less than perfect ruffle areas. If you are patient, hand stitching would be the way to go.


My finishing touch was the gold buttons. Bryan's great aunt gave me a bunch of supplies before she went into a nursing home 2 years ago and these came from that package. I love them and am glad I found something to put them to good use.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP