DIY/Upcycled: Ruffle Cardigan

>> Sunday, November 8, 2009

I had some time this afternoon to attempt one of the items on my "to make" list and I really like how it turned out.

 I have had this cardigan since I was a sophomore in college.
I measured around the full length of the existing trim and tripled the number to get my ruffle length.

 Cut strips and sewed them into one long tube.
 Remember, I was originally inspired by this post. I used quilting thread to do the zigzag stitch and I think it worked really well. You can barely see the thread. Her tip on the fishing wire is great. I used button thread because I didn't have any fishing wire.
And because I have zero patience, I machine stitched the entire thing...so there are some less than perfect ruffle areas. If you are patient, hand stitching would be the way to go.


My finishing touch was the gold buttons. Bryan's great aunt gave me a bunch of supplies before she went into a nursing home 2 years ago and these came from that package. I love them and am glad I found something to put them to good use.

9 comments:

Lili November 8, 2009 at 5:52 PM  

Ooooh!!! I really like this and actually, the firat thing I noticed was how great the buttons were.

Janet November 9, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

What kind of fabric did you use for the Ruffle?

Jaime November 9, 2009 at 10:54 AM  

Bravo! Love the buttons too.

LindsB November 9, 2009 at 12:28 PM  

Ummm, you need to teach me how to do this asap- that is sooooo friggin cute- LOVE IT!!!

Carlee and I missed you on Sat night! But, I'm glad you got to have some qt with the hubs, I know hes not home often so when he is its nice to get time with him :)

Lauren November 10, 2009 at 7:05 AM  

This is so darn cute! I just love reading your blog b/c you have such great ideas and style, girl!

I would love to try this...but I don't think it would look pretty! Some day! :)

Janet November 10, 2009 at 7:44 AM  

Thanks on the fabric note. Love your blog, great sewing ideas!

Emily November 10, 2009 at 12:37 PM  

That is so cute! What a great job you did.

Hope your new job is going well!

Deliciously Organized November 11, 2009 at 10:16 AM  

You are so talented! Miss you and hope to see you soon :)

Mrs B January 12, 2010 at 11:05 PM  

love this idea... i have an old sweater vest that this will really liven up, sheer brilliance yet again!!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP