Shoes or No Shoes?

>> Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Like a handful of other bloggers, once a month I do an ideabook for Houzz. I usually try to pull an idea from one of my current projects, something I have already spent time researching. Well this month I am working with a client on an entry foyer, along with a formal living and dining room. Here is a very preliminary plan and image collage just to give you a visual.


It will be a nice space and this client, like the majority of my clients in Boston, prefers that people remove their shoes at the door when they visit. They have a mudroom off of the garage, but most guests enter through the front door. So we looked at several seating options to make shoe removal less awkward and that is what I decided to write the Houzz article on. Little did I know, it would start quite the conversation.

My views on the subject have definitely changed over the years. My grandmother was the only person I knew growing up who did not allow shoes in the house. She had plastic carpet runners and blankets covering her sofa upholstery. I just chalked that up to being a grandma thing. But once I got older I encountered it more often and for a while it made me uncomfortable. The state of my pedicure was always a big concern if it were not sock season and if it were sock season I always had a momentary panic attack wondering if my socks matched or even worse, if they looked like they were 100 years old. Fast forward to two years ago and we move into a carpeted apartment with a 3 month old. And although I have purchased a steam cleaner to save me from my neurosis, something about people walking through my carpeted house with shoes that have been on the street (where dogs pee) and on the T (where people pee) gives me the willies. My baby lays on that carpet when he plays. I lay on that carpet when he plays. When we had hardwood floors it did not bother me in the least, but something about carpet seems so permanent.

What are your thoughts? Shoes? No shoes?  Does this all remind you of the Sex in the City episode? I've never lost shoes at the door but I did lose a coat at a party last month.

10 comments:

Karisma Izzah January 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM  

Definitely NO shoes in the house! Especially a family with a baby living in it.

Jen @ RamblingRenovators January 30, 2013 at 10:57 PM  

Love the entry way plan and the comments were fun to read. As for our house, its no shoes (I didn't realize it was a 'Canadian' thing). Its always been that way, in my house growing up, in all my friends houses. I actually feel icky when I wear shoes in other people's houses (even if they're comfortable with it). I imagine all the dirty places my shoes have been and all the tiny particles clinging to my soles. Its like thinking about all the germies on the bottom of my purse. Just eww.

kthappy76 January 31, 2013 at 12:25 AM  

I didn't come from a no shoes home, but then I married an (Asian) Indian, so we are a no shoes home. We have no wall to wall carpet, save the stairs, but with two babies, I couldn't agree with you more. Shoes inside are skeevy to me now...

pve design January 31, 2013 at 8:20 AM  

NO shoes. I think it makes people feel more welcome.
I love having clean socks to offer if anyone is uncomfy about the state of one's toes!
pve

LindsB January 31, 2013 at 9:04 AM  

I hate taking my shoes off when I go to someones house. Just as you dont know whats on my shoes, I dont know whats on your floor and do I want to walk on it barefoot since I never wear socks. Also, most of the time shoes are part of the outfit and I feel naked without them. I never take my shoes off in my own home and I would never ask guests to either. I might just vacuum or sweep when people leave, no big deal.

That being said, from the comments I am clearly in the minority so I will respect all my blog friends when I go to their homes and take off my shoes because I love them :)

stee@yahoo.com,  February 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM  

I'm with LindsB.

I'm a lifelong Bostonian. I've never been asked to take off my shoes. I thought that was a southern thing?

I do wipe my feet on the doormat before I come in. I promise I wasn't jumping in puddles or making mudpies. That's what it is for, right?

I would be really uncomfortable being told "no shoes." And if you come over, I won't ask you take take off your shoes. I don't want to see your socks or your feet!

mark,  February 3, 2013 at 12:13 AM  

Shoes off at the door please.

Jody R,  February 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM  

I did not grow up in a "no shoes" home however, after moving to Boston and becoming close to a few Korean families, my husband and I decided to adopt the lifestyle in our home. At the time, it was a great way to keep our wood floors and home immaculate. Now that we have a child and one on the way, keeping our floors free from outside germs is extremely important especially when we discovered that our little crawler loved to lick the floors!

We definitely have slippers and socks for the comfort of our guests, but it is now a tradition/policy that is very important to us.

Keyse February 8, 2013 at 5:40 PM  

What happened to your coat?!!!
I really hate having to take my shoes off...esp if its a party. Ive had wet cold feet in too many many parties! Whats worse, is when you realize some people have kept their shoes on...and you are barefoot and suddenly feel like a barefoot weirdo. With all of this said, I do have a couple of friends who require no shoes and im ok with that, but if its a party im keeping my damned shoes on

Glass Doors February 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM  

Before the entrance and entering the premises, I'll take off my shoes.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP