A Baby in a Closet: Part II

>> Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Surprising even myself, nesting has remained in full swing over the past couple of weeks. We have cleaned out dressers and closets. I even convinced my husband to part with his drawer full of miscellaneous power/data cords and old cell phones. My excitement over my little closet nursery is still going strong. Two weeks ago it looked like this.

After some re-arranging in other closets and a little purging on my half, we were able to relocate everything. 

As I mentioned in my first post, I really like this little nursery nook, particularly the dots. I liked that I would not have to tape the trim or the ceiling to stencil dots on the wall. I hate taping, worst part of painting if you ask me. I also would not have to tape when we move and I have to paint back over everything. win-win. So I looked online and found THIS ebay dealer to have the best prices for the scale I was looking for.

After some online shopping, I also came to realize that mini crib bedding is pretty limited. I had made crib sheets for Remi before he was born and used what I thought was a fairly nice cotton fabric, but they ended up pilling, so I didn't want to do that again. Then I got the idea to just buy regular size twin sheets and use the fabric. I found these at Marshalls for $30.
 Last week my stencil arrived. I took a late night trip to Home Depot with one of the pillow cases and picked out this muted green paint in a semi-gloss finish. I wanted to go a little greener than the sheets, but in the same saturation family. It's called 420E-3 Spring Hill by Behr.
Bryan was on call Sunday, so I took down the clothes rack, patched the holes, and did a little practice run with the stencil, which I was very intimidated by.

I did actually have to stop last night around 10:30 because A- my husband wanted to go to sleep and B-after a quick rinse to get the paint blobs out, my stencil brush went limp. No good. The warm water killed it. I guess I am going to have to buy another to finish. Luckily they are only $2.

But like I said, I was initially super intimidated by stenciling. And I do think more complicated designs like the one I used for a client last month (which we paid a pretty to have done) would not be as easy as these dots. I looked at this tutorial before I started. The most important thing that took me a few tries to get the hang of was, go super light on the paint. It will make a much cleaner shape. But in my typical lazy fashion, I didn't use a level. I didn't use any type of spray adhesive. I just aligned the stencil with a couple of dots and kept working my way over. One other fyi, it does not take a ton of paint to do this. I could have bought a tester jar and would have been fine. I will show you how little I used out of the can when I am finished.

Today I came across this little painting I found at my favorite antique shop in the Cape a couple of years ago and I think it's exactly what I want to put over the crib.
And that's where I am with my little nursery in a closet! More to follow.

13 comments:

pve design January 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM  

...and where are the things that were in the closet?
pve

Amelia @ House Pretty January 29, 2013 at 7:46 PM  

It's going to be beautiful! I love the art you've chosen to go over the crib - such a nice contrast to the polka dots. Can't wait to see more :)

courtneyoutloud January 29, 2013 at 8:55 PM  

Call me - I will stencil for you next time :)

Megan Lee January 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM  

I love everything so far- can't wait to see the finished space!

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design January 30, 2013 at 6:12 AM  

Such a creative spot to carve out for a nursery! It looks great!!!

LindsB January 30, 2013 at 8:37 AM  

I LOVE it! Its going to be just perfect, just like that little baby in your belly!

Erin,  January 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM  

Where did you get your stencil? I love how spread out the dots are!

Anonymous,  January 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM  

[p]Clarisonic Mia and also Clarisonic Vintage Cosmetic Methods

The particular Clarisonic Mia Cosmetic [url=http://www.clarisonicmiasale4u.com]clarisonic sale
[/url] Method is very fantastic if you are away from home, given that it is actually a smaller style of the particular vintage Clarisonic cosmetic remember to brush . But people should be careful not to over use the complementary elements . It is an easily portable brush for skin care that cleanses by use of sonic frequency technology . This helps to [url=http://www.clarisonicmiasale4u.com]clarisonic mia 2[/url] unblock skin pores and prevent skin disorders such as acne . The brush head that is used directly on the skin is very friendly . You will notice some grime on the brush which means your usual ritual is not enough to remove makeup off your face . Cheap Clarisonic is Sonic Skin Care Clarisonicmall System takes just one minute a day for the best skin of your [url=http://www.clarisonicmiasale4u.com]clarisonic mia sale[/url] life . A lot of people have got epidermis issues for instance whiteheads [url=http://www.genuineuggaustraliaboots.co.uk]ugg australia boots[/url] which can be very difficult to be able to get over . Brush is completely waterproof and can be used in the bathroom to dip are ok, throw in the water
Brush head hair points ultra mild, moderate and generally delicate Do, sensitve, normal, (), bristles surface material without [url=http://www.clarisonicmiasale4u.com]clarisonic mia[/url] holes, so the bacteria are not attached to the top, easy to clean, three months time.[/p]

lizziefitz January 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM  

Great job! Such a happy place:))

karen brown January 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM  

the polka dots are art are beautiful! going to be the most precious closet around!

WanderingLili January 30, 2013 at 4:08 PM  

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the dots!!! I'm pinning this now and want to do the girls room when we move to Ann Arbor in June!!! Thanks for all the links and I love seeing you blog more often!

Haus and Home January 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM  

I love the dots on the walls! So delicate and cute.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP