The Nursery: Chapter 8 {an upgraded ottoman}

>> Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Yes! More Nursery! It has been completed, my baby is 3 1/2 weeks old, but I wanted to squeeze in a few posts about a couple of other projects before I wrap it up.

My glider is a big, comfy, heavenly at 3'oclock in the morning kind of glider, but I knew I would not have the room to get an ottoman with equal proportions. So when I was about 7 months pregnant I found this little guy on sale at a TJ Maxx for $25.

I knew the ivory damask would not go. But I already liked the idea of slipcovering something so that it would be washable, so I bought it. I waited until the chair arrived to make the slipcover, and I'm glad I did, because the ottoman actually sat a few inches lower than I preferred. So I went to Home Depot and had them cut one of the long, square dow type pieces into 4, 4" lengths.

I used to talk about solo women getting special treatment in the Home Depot lumber department (i.e. 20 cuts on the big saw for free) but pregnant women trump that by a billion. If you have been in the lumber section of Home Depot you know they have a hand saw out so that people can cut these types of small pieces themselves. Well, my 9 month pregnant self was not up for cutting anything and thankfully one of the workers bent the rules and ran it down the table saw for me. I wood glued them to the existing legs like so...
My inspiration for the slipcover was this Serena and Lilly pillow.

So I started by covering the ottoman with this blue and white striped fabric.

I wanted the letter to be on a solid background, like the pillow. So I decided to center a solid blue circle. I used a pot lid as a template, which actually turned out to be a really cool picture. You can pretty much see the entire room plus our hallway, and my huge pregnant belly. I went into labor that night.

I attached both the circle and the letter with paper backed wonder under. The paper backed is great because it was very easy to both draw and cut out the letter. I just enlarged a lower case "r" in New Courier font, traced it, cut it out, and ironed it on. Ta-Da!

I decided to leave off the dot. It did not work as well inside of the circle as it does on the pillow above.
But I really like the way it turned out, it might even be my favorite thing in the room.

25 comments:

Kate {domestikatedlife} April 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM  

That looks so cute!!

With your sewing skills and my upholstery skills, we're gonna make some magic before and afters :)

lizziefitz April 27, 2011 at 11:43 AM  

I love it! My son has a Serena & lily initial pillow on his bed, the letter r :))

Janet April 27, 2011 at 12:37 PM  

I totally love your sense of Style. That ottoman is so sweet! And the colors in the Nursery are so wonderfully fresh and Modern.

Katie - House Rules April 27, 2011 at 12:56 PM  

Wow! You did such a good job. I am definitely signing up for your next sewing class!

elizabeth@themustardceiling April 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM  

Adorable! Love the stripes and the monogram. I just found your blog via Danielle Oakey, so glad I did.

Annelise April 27, 2011 at 1:24 PM  

I was going to say adorable, but someone already said that, so I will go with "wonderful!"

Kudos to you for going with something striped too. I'd be worried about matching the stripes up, but yours looks great.

LindsB April 27, 2011 at 1:57 PM  

so so so cute!!! LOVE this project!

I have two ottomans that I need to re-cover SO BAD, I will have to come over for some of your handy sewing skills :)

Jen April 27, 2011 at 2:30 PM  

Oh, I love the stripes!
And the wall color? Would you be kind enough to share the paint color?

Stephanie Sabbe April 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM  

the wall color is Sherwin Williams Rainwashed, one of my faves.

pve design April 27, 2011 at 4:39 PM  

r for really royal job!
3 1/2 half weeks old already? wow.
pve

Mr. Goodwill Hunting April 27, 2011 at 5:18 PM  

I could have sworn by ranch dressing I was following you!
I really like this application to this lil footstool.
Perhaps its an R and my name starts with an R...lol
Perfection.



Rashon aka Mr. Goodwill Hunting

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss April 27, 2011 at 6:03 PM  

Amazing. I love it. I have the pillow saved as inspiration for COllins' big boy room!

Design Esquire April 27, 2011 at 7:48 PM  

Seriously. This is awesome. You really outdid yourself this time! Now that the weather is warmer, should we get a little Boston blogger event going? (Even though I've been a horrible blogger, can I invite myself along?)

Marianne {Style For Living} April 27, 2011 at 9:18 PM  

This is the cutest ottoman!!! It is absolutely perfect for the room. Your talents amaze me! xo

classic • casual • home April 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM  

Awesome. You did a great job and it is so stylish.

High-Heeled Foot in the door April 28, 2011 at 6:58 PM  

So pretty! I love what you made! Totally wish I still wasn't in a fight with my sewing machine. I want to have so many things custom done, but going to the seamstress is pricey!

Casey April 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM  

That is such an awesome ottoman cover!

Elizabeth Leach,  April 29, 2011 at 2:09 PM  

Wow, I'm so impressed! You could sell these! Congrats on your baby, too!

carlee {deliciously organized} April 29, 2011 at 7:01 PM  

please don't let little remi grow up too fast. i want to see him as a baby. i absolutely L-O-V-E that ottoman.

Lauren May 2, 2011 at 3:14 PM  

Your ottoman turned out great! I LOVE it! -Lauren from Material Girls

yours truly May 4, 2011 at 8:48 PM  

That is so cool- a great, well done DIY! I'm also obsessing about that rug- can you share the source? It's bright orange and cream, right?

Catherine May 6, 2011 at 9:03 AM  

this is totally cool! I just wanted to leave a comment I saw your link on another website. Those ottoman's are SO expensive - great idea!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP