Something For My Boy {because he will be southern}

>> Saturday, March 5, 2011

Today I am 36 weeks pregnant. Last night I described being pregnant as "really neat" to some guy friends of ours and one of them said "neat, I've never heard it described that way." But it truly is. For the past 8 months I have been growing a person inside of me. It's the coolest thing I've ever done. We talk about our boy and what he might look like or what kind of personality he might have, but one thing that's just understood is, although we live in Boston, we will be raising our baby to be a southerner. He will call you ma'am, he will hold your door, he will say good morning when he passes you on the street. And when he's still his mama's baby, he will wear jumpers and bubbles and proper southern baby attire...at least on Sundays.

This week I made him this.
Hand stitching is not my #1 skill. But it turned out kind of kitchy and I liked that.
I used one of the jumpers that I bought several years ago at the Cooper Young Festival as a template. So now he has one for a game day and one for a trip to the Cape. The whale was a nod to New England. Overall it was a pretty easy project. I plan on making several more. And because my sewing teacher is probably going to kill me if I bring in one more "made up" project to class, I bought this pattern yesterday.

My sewing teacher is Russian and hilariously truthful (and an amazing, amazing Paris trained seamstress) But last week she told me that I "know some things about sewing but I have no foundations." She said "you just make it up as you go along." (which was not intended to be a compliment) And I responded "this is true." I promised her next week I would let her take me back to basics. Collars, buttons, and sleeves are all out of my comfort zone, so hopefully she will be pleased to help me with this one.

Now can someone point me to an online source for the little white shoes and knee socks that would complete these southern baby looks? There are no smocking boutiques in Boston. Although I did recently find a good monogrammer... get excited!

Disclaimer: I'm sure there are plenty of well mannered New England boys, whose mamas taught them open doors, pull out chairs, etc. etc. They just don't happen to live in my building.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP