Something For My Boy {because he will be southern}

>> Saturday, March 5, 2011

Today I am 36 weeks pregnant. Last night I described being pregnant as "really neat" to some guy friends of ours and one of them said "neat, I've never heard it described that way." But it truly is. For the past 8 months I have been growing a person inside of me. It's the coolest thing I've ever done. We talk about our boy and what he might look like or what kind of personality he might have, but one thing that's just understood is, although we live in Boston, we will be raising our baby to be a southerner. He will call you ma'am, he will hold your door, he will say good morning when he passes you on the street. And when he's still his mama's baby, he will wear jumpers and bubbles and proper southern baby least on Sundays.

This week I made him this.
Hand stitching is not my #1 skill. But it turned out kind of kitchy and I liked that.
I used one of the jumpers that I bought several years ago at the Cooper Young Festival as a template. So now he has one for a game day and one for a trip to the Cape. The whale was a nod to New England. Overall it was a pretty easy project. I plan on making several more. And because my sewing teacher is probably going to kill me if I bring in one more "made up" project to class, I bought this pattern yesterday.

My sewing teacher is Russian and hilariously truthful (and an amazing, amazing Paris trained seamstress) But last week she told me that I "know some things about sewing but I have no foundations." She said "you just make it up as you go along." (which was not intended to be a compliment) And I responded "this is true." I promised her next week I would let her take me back to basics. Collars, buttons, and sleeves are all out of my comfort zone, so hopefully she will be pleased to help me with this one.

Now can someone point me to an online source for the little white shoes and knee socks that would complete these southern baby looks? There are no smocking boutiques in Boston. Although I did recently find a good monogrammer... get excited!

Disclaimer: I'm sure there are plenty of well mannered New England boys, whose mamas taught them open doors, pull out chairs, etc. etc. They just don't happen to live in my building.


pve design March 5, 2011 at 8:52 AM  

Thank-you. We need more "neat" Moms like you who value a life full of social graces and charm. What an adorable little suit for your perfect gentleman.
I have to find the photos of my boys when they were little and wore similar fashions.

bryn alexandra interiors March 5, 2011 at 9:08 AM  

Love it! I told my husband when we moved to Charlotte that I want our future children to be born here and have perfect sweet little southern accents. He said it will probably not happen because we don't have accents. Way to rain on my parade, husband!

Love the jumper :)

Bella March 5, 2011 at 10:48 AM  

So adorable. It's so nice to hear that your little boy will be raised with such good manners - it's definitely something that's lacking in this day and age. And he'll be so cute to boot!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss March 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM  

Love this post!

I have been making Collins some bubbles this week--- I have mass produced some using the Taylor pattern by Children's Corner. Some are monogrammed and some are appliqued. I have 5 cut out right now just waiting to be assembled.

I love it when Collins wears his little white leather soft sole shoes... will send you a link when I find it.

Kimberly March 5, 2011 at 1:58 PM  

Sweet! Just what every little boy needs.

Please share the details on the monogrammer you found. I want to monogram everything for my little girl!

alison@MyLittleHappyPlace March 5, 2011 at 7:18 PM  

So glad to hear he'll be a well-mannered 'lil gent. Are there really so few up there?
Darling romper!

Annelise March 5, 2011 at 7:19 PM  

Adorable!!!! I was just eyeing some Oliver + S patterns earlier today.

Are you making a Christening gown too?

I found some cute baby shoes online at this weekend. They have tiny little loafers and sandals. As for the socks, you're on your own though!

And where are you taking these classes? Not that I need another distraction, but for future reference. :-)

lizziefitz March 5, 2011 at 7:42 PM  

Let me know what you need? Charleston has a great selection for proper Southern baby boys:) Erin over at Blue Eyed Bride blog has some great online resources that she uses to dress her sweet Hudson:) Love the Jon Jon you made!

My Interior Life March 5, 2011 at 9:01 PM  

Love your romper! I have GOT to learn to sew (mainly to make pillows since my kids are too old for the cute clothes now - bummer). That would be hard to find the cute little white leather shoes elsewhere. You know in Nashville Lonnie Young has got you covered. Just grab some next time you visit! :)

kthappy76 March 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM  

Adorable! He will be ready for a trip to Nantucket in that jumper. I'm sorry that you haven't found the people of Boston to be friendly, I really did when I lived there, but then again I'm not a Southerner... ;)

Storibook Designs March 6, 2011 at 1:26 PM  

You are very funny Stephanie; love your disclaimer!! The overalls are great, perfectly preppy!

reineayiti March 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM  

I am sooo excited for you--to see you as a mom, to induct you into the mother of sons club, and to meet le petit Monsieur Remi! And of course to let some of his Southern charm rub off onto my little ruffians ;-)

reineayiti March 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM  

Oh yeah and by the way I have a couple of jumpers like that for my boys too (promptly putting in storage for Remi). The summer we were visiting Ghana I remember one aunt saying that he looked "so French" in the little jumper!

Heidi,  March 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM  

Sooo cute. Hearing "good morning" is like hearing music; such a simple but important thing to teach a child. Your jumper is adorable. While you're sewing up a storm, make your son a sleep sack. My son is two and he still sleeps in it every night. They're wonderful.

LindsB March 7, 2011 at 9:12 AM  

My parents are total New Englanders (actually they grew up in NJ and NY), but I'm pretty sure that my brother an I wore a TON of rompers like this little one when we were little.

This is beyond cute and I cant WAIT to see Remi in it!!

Britt March 7, 2011 at 2:29 PM  

I LOVE it - adorable! Yay for a good southern boy!

carlee {deliciously organized} March 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM  

We need more southern boys around to set a good example on the cali boys. Hmmm will you be moving anytime soon? I think you should...

Love that little romper!!!

Caci March 7, 2011 at 5:36 PM  

I am not sure about the shoes but have some awesome smocked items for little boys!

Full House March 8, 2011 at 10:02 PM  

That jumper is so darn cute.

Dana {Southern Inspired} March 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM  

I love that! And I adore the jumper :)

Amber March 11, 2011 at 6:36 PM  

Love Southern Boys, and love that jumper! Bobby finally said no to the one-piece outfits for Caleb this year. But I got two good years in, so I can't complain!

Neven March 9, 2016 at 10:10 AM  

I am looking for baby shoes online and look what I've found. :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP