Slipcover Progress + tips

>> Monday, January 24, 2011

Last night my husband was on call, so I took the opportunity to watch a girl movie and destroy the living room with my slipcover project. I thought I was going to hate this project. I was 90% sure it would involve tears (not to count my chickens, still could). But so far so good. I finished one of the arms/wing.

One tip I have learned so far is to go by the seams and pleats that the chair already has. I had plans to delete the little pleats on the wing to give it a more modern look, but once I pinned everything on there I realized it was not happening.
I plan on attempting to add Velcro to the underside of the slipcover and face of the chair to get the underside of the arm to cling tightly to the chair. In this photo I have it loosely pinned. I think I am going to re-do the front face of the arm and add piping. See the original piping showing through? I didn't really hit right on the old seam line and that is bugging me.

Here was the key to getting the pieces to fit correctly before I sewed them.
There were about 3 or 4 versions of each of these before I got the right shape. I used some left over drapery liner, but I think most people use muslin for a template. I have seen a few tutorials where they use their finish fabric right from the get go. I would have had some major issues if I would have gone that route (tears).

And lastly, this is how I figured out how much fabric to order and how to cut it once it got here.

I measured each panel of the chair, according to how the existing pieces were broken up, and rounded everything off into a rectangle. Most of the Internet sites say that wing chairs take 7 yards to cover. I am doing it in 5. I am using white cotton duck. I got 5 yards for $34 after using one of these coupons, which is way cheaper than a store bought slipcover. I reasearched what was best to use for slipcovers and everything was pretty much cotton duck or denim. I opted for the duck, but I am not loving the wrinkle factor. Hopefully I can give them a good iron and starch when I'm finished to clean them up a bit.

This is the most planning I have ever done for a sewing. I am determined to not let this one go into my long list of failed project.

Hope you had a nice weekend!


abode love January 24, 2011 at 10:27 AM  

Look at you! You're well on your way and it's looking marvelous! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Kate {domestikatedlife} January 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM  

So impressed, I know what you mean about expecting tears -- I have to build myself up for big projects like that

Rebecca January 24, 2011 at 11:57 AM  

Wow - this all looks incredible!!

Lili January 24, 2011 at 12:40 PM  

Lookin' good! I'd have given up a long time ago so YAY for you! I can't wait to see them finished!

Full House January 24, 2011 at 2:12 PM  

Impressive! Seriously I would have tears.

Katie January 24, 2011 at 2:13 PM  

Wow! They're looking great! I am going to revisit these posts regularly until I work up the nerve to start mine... also two wing chairs... that I would desperately love to be using in our living room. Maybe I should haul them up here and let their current ugliness motivate me.

Nichole @ Parlour January 24, 2011 at 2:38 PM  

It's already looking fabulous. You are WAY braver than I. I would probably sew myself to the fabric somehow. Can't wait to see the finished chair!

Saara {} January 24, 2011 at 4:01 PM  

suuuuuuper impressive!! looks fabulous!

Sweetlove January 24, 2011 at 10:48 PM  

Way to go. If anyone can do it, it will be you. I can't wait to see the beautiful finished piece

Kelly @ Much To Do With Nothing January 25, 2011 at 8:11 AM  

I love the way it's turning out! Wow you're good at this. I have a tip for you...if you don't care about the original upholstery of the chairs, cut the cording off. You can start anywhere on it. Cut into the top of it, through the cording and fabric to get started. And then start cutting along the seam line holding up the cording in your other hand. This really helps with the "show through" cording look. You might not have to add any.
I'll be watching to see them finished!

LindsB January 25, 2011 at 8:48 AM  

look at you!!

Like I said before, when can I bring a few chairs over for you to cover for me!

Stephanie Sabbe January 25, 2011 at 12:03 PM  

kelly! good idea! you are the best

Melissah January 25, 2011 at 2:26 PM  

I just discovered your lovely blog. I'm just new into blogging & have just finished off my own blog on fashion & interior design.
I had a lot of fun putting it together. I would love your feedback on it if you've got a spare minute.

Wanderings of a Wannabe January 25, 2011 at 3:19 PM  

oh myyyy you are good (and very patient). I can not grasp that people can sew like this, so kudos! Very impressed!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP