Emotionally Healthy Spiritually

>> Monday, September 27, 2010

Morning All! I have a busy day today, but I wanted to share a book with you that I have just started reading, Emotionally Healthy Spiritually
My church is actually walking through the book in small groups. Unfortunately I teach two night classes, which leaves me unable to attend. BUT I wanted to see if there were any blog friends out there who would like to go through the book with me? One chapter a week, any takers?

I know I personally could use a revival in my life. The past couple of months I have been carrying around a lot of junk and last Thursday night, as I laid in bed with my mind going 100 miles an hour and my stomach twisting from anxiety, I realized something has to change. My church has already preached two sermons related to this book and both Sundays I felt like they were speaking directly to me.

Just to give you a glimpse, chapter two has a section called Defining Emotional Health and Contemplative Spirituality and it reads:

Emotional health is concerned with such things as:
  • naming, recognizing, and managing our own feelings
  • identifying with and having active compassion for others
  • initializing and maintaining close and meaningful relationships
  • breaking free from self-destructive patterns
  • being aware of how our past impacts our present
  • developing the capacity to express our thoughts and feelings clearly, both verbally and nonverbally
  • respecting and loving others without having to change them
  • asking for what we need, want, or prefer clearly, directly, and respectfully
  • accurately self-assessing our strengths, limits, and weaknesses and freely sharing them with others
  • learning to capacity to resolve conflict maturely and negotiate solutions that consider the perspective of others
  • distinguishing and appropriately expressing our sexuality and sensuality
  • grieving well
Need help with any of these? I sure do! The book is 10 Chapters, so I will plan to post every Sunday, starting next week for the next 10 weeks. I would love for you to join me, get your feedback, hear about your experiences and struggles. Matthew 18:20 says "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them"...I think that counts for the blog world as well.


Anna Liesemeyer September 27, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

Sounds like a fantastic book! Adding it to my list of must reads!

Saara @ GEORGE Interior Design September 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM  

I've been ridiculously busy lately BUT I think I should try to make time to join you. I too feel like those things are directed at me! Not sure how much I'll have time for lots of feedback, but it would be fun to read it with you and read your posts. If I can find time to get the book this week, count me in :)

Dominique,  September 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM  

I've followed for awhile, but never posted before. I read this post and thought that I for sure needed to track this book down and read it. I am going to stop at Barnes and Noble tonight and hopefully join in. Thanks for sharing.

Haven and Home September 27, 2010 at 11:33 AM  

This definitely sounds like something I need. I think this is a great idea!

laura @ so alaurable September 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM  

I could definitely benefit by reading this. Would love to join you! Off to see if my library has this title.

carlee September 27, 2010 at 5:12 PM  

hoping they have it at borders...here is a 40% coupon if anyone needs one. ends tonight.


Emily September 27, 2010 at 5:44 PM  

I want in too! although i have about 5 minutes a week to read, I think my weekend breakdown due to stress could use it!

Susan September 27, 2010 at 6:07 PM  

This sounds like an awesome idea. I follow your blog and would love to follow along with this, as well.

SummerBreeze September 28, 2010 at 1:50 PM  

I'd love to follow along. I'm in law school so "free time reading" is virtually non-existent, but somethings are too important to ignore.

Amy @ Varnish September 29, 2010 at 4:31 PM  

I would totally do this with you had I not just started my own small group. We're reading Brennan Manning's "The Signature of Jesus" and wowza is it good! Anyhow, keep me in the loop for next time okay?
"The certainty that He wants us to live, grow, unfold and to experience the fullness of life is the basic premise of authentic faith!"

Lili September 30, 2010 at 3:31 PM  

$9.99 on Kindle and I don't even have t oleave the house... Can we say Awesome! Count me in!

pve design October 2, 2010 at 1:31 PM  

Count me in.....love to be included.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP