Emotionally Healthy Spiritually

>> Monday, September 27, 2010

Morning All! I have a busy day today, but I wanted to share a book with you that I have just started reading, Emotionally Healthy Spiritually
My church is actually walking through the book in small groups. Unfortunately I teach two night classes, which leaves me unable to attend. BUT I wanted to see if there were any blog friends out there who would like to go through the book with me? One chapter a week, any takers?

I know I personally could use a revival in my life. The past couple of months I have been carrying around a lot of junk and last Thursday night, as I laid in bed with my mind going 100 miles an hour and my stomach twisting from anxiety, I realized something has to change. My church has already preached two sermons related to this book and both Sundays I felt like they were speaking directly to me.

Just to give you a glimpse, chapter two has a section called Defining Emotional Health and Contemplative Spirituality and it reads:

Emotional health is concerned with such things as:
  • naming, recognizing, and managing our own feelings
  • identifying with and having active compassion for others
  • initializing and maintaining close and meaningful relationships
  • breaking free from self-destructive patterns
  • being aware of how our past impacts our present
  • developing the capacity to express our thoughts and feelings clearly, both verbally and nonverbally
  • respecting and loving others without having to change them
  • asking for what we need, want, or prefer clearly, directly, and respectfully
  • accurately self-assessing our strengths, limits, and weaknesses and freely sharing them with others
  • learning to capacity to resolve conflict maturely and negotiate solutions that consider the perspective of others
  • distinguishing and appropriately expressing our sexuality and sensuality
  • grieving well
Need help with any of these? I sure do! The book is 10 Chapters, so I will plan to post every Sunday, starting next week for the next 10 weeks. I would love for you to join me, get your feedback, hear about your experiences and struggles. Matthew 18:20 says "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them"...I think that counts for the blog world as well.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP