Breakfast at DWR

>> Thursday, April 15, 2010

A couple of weekends ago I was out and about with camera in hand and decided to swing by one of my faves. Some girls go to Tiffany's to drool over rings, I go to Design Within Reach and lust after these guys...
I have mentioned before that I am a huge fan of light fixtures that not only put off light, but create great shadows. So when I walked in and saw this, I was in love. Look at the ceiling! amazing
Still on a design high, we headed down to B&B Italia. Again, I drive a Honda and B&B is a Porsche, but a girl can dream right?

These wall sconces were ridiculously awesome. Someone needs these in their downtown loft asap.
Besides to drool, I also go into these stores to get project ideas...and sometimes craft ideas. Here are four that I think we can do. This first one might be the trickiest. Any crafsters out here know how they got the batting looking stuff so tight?
Thanks to Linds for letting me borrow her wood graining tool, my dining room table will eventually be looking something like this...
Anyone have a bunch of old cardboard boxes?
Gloss enamel spray paint and shirt boxes maybe?
Am I bad? I know people designed this stuff and I shouldn't want to craft my own version.Do you have the DIY curse? I can't help it. I see it. I love it. And then I want to figure out how to do it myself. I'm a real hands on type of designer. God bless the contractor who one day builds the Sabbe dream house.


Lauren April 15, 2010 at 9:09 PM  

I love that you are thinking DIY! Go girl! I'm so in love with that little orange rocker in the first pix. I would puffy heart one for Henry's room, BUT...doesn't look to cozy for a cuddle with my guy. It LOOKS great though! :) Yummy pix!

LindsB April 15, 2010 at 9:26 PM  

Such a fun outing! I love DIY too and am totally searching for new ideas all the time. Think of it as flattery, you want to flatter all these cool designs by doing a DIY version.

Saara @ GEORGE Interior Design April 15, 2010 at 11:27 PM  

I think I'm going to wood grain my dining table too....I'm in the midst of changing up my living/dining area. Love that kitchen from the other day, btw. Exactly what I want, traditional with a bit of the unexpected.

Andrea April 16, 2010 at 12:32 AM  

That table is going to look awesome!

Vicki @ Piccolo Takes All April 16, 2010 at 12:41 AM  

Seriously, I'd much rather spend the day looking at chairs and lights than jewelry!

When I saw the Zeppelin S1 (the webby chandelier), I figured it was made similarly to Nelson's Bubble lamps, which are made by spraying a plastic coating over the metal framework. I checked with the DWR site, and that is correct. "The structure is wrapped in spray-on resin that stretches over the shapes of chandelier arms and candles underneath." I'm not sure how one would replicate this process at home. Let me know if you figure something out. :)

Rebecca April 16, 2010 at 3:12 AM  

Wow, that place looks incredible. The shadows on ceiling in the second photo ARE amazing!

Design Esquire April 16, 2010 at 8:19 AM  

I love that you're a DIY type of girl, I am too! I can't wait to see your creations.

Katy April 16, 2010 at 11:16 AM  

Oh I'm totally guilty of DIYing my way through a store. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

l.alden April 16, 2010 at 12:30 PM  

Isn't it fun to walk through a store like that and leave with a refreshed sense of creativity? I love that feeling - you can't wait to get home to create the item for much less! Or when you lay awake at night wondering how to create something, with such anticipation to get up the next morning and do it! Creative design energy - I love it.

Emily April 16, 2010 at 1:39 PM  

Bet that was a good time out! Love that store and I's not always easy for DIY projects but it is cheaper!

Stephanie April 16, 2010 at 3:01 PM  

I'm totally the same when it comes to crafting designer pieces. I see it and I immediately try to recreate. I actually attempted to make that pendant lamp from that B&B photo. Sadly, it came out sort of lopsided. My math-wiz husband offered to help me create a "perfect sphere" but at that point the project sort of exhausted me.

Laura Storm April 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM  

Ah, I wouldn't bat an eye at DIYing anything. One of the main characteristics of beauty is that it creates a desire to imitate in those who see it. (A great book on this concept: On Beauty and Being Just.) DIYing your own is like a cover of a great's not an exact copy and won't ever be--it's an homage. :)

Also, may I just add that your blog is such a fav. If I don't have time to read any others, I always check yours. Truly.

carlee April 18, 2010 at 5:07 PM  

I had such a nice "breakfast at DWR" with you. I really like that title...

I also can't wait to see your table all finished up. I want to go back to Montage for more inspiraton.

Haven and Home April 19, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

I think the same way. UGh, those sconces- need to be mine!

Christy April 19, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

A good alternative for the spray resin for the 'wrapped' light would be to stretch stockings or tights around it. I did a sculpture project in a similar way in college and it creates a fun shape.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP