Time for an Upgrade

>> Monday, October 5, 2009

You probably cannot tell from my blog, but I am a graphics fanatic. I swoon over great graphic design.

I took {audited} a very intense graphic design class my senior year in college. The professor was amazing and the number one thing that stuck with me was a realization of bad graphics. I learned that bad graphics include most things formatted on Powerpoint and all things under the category of clip art. I learned that distorting font is highly forbidden. I had no idea! I learned that people design font and when you streeeetch it, and squish it, etc, etc. you are ruining their design. I had no idea!

Point of this post is, my blog has bad graphics. I know some people do some pretty amazing things in blogspot. But it's really not working for me these days. I need to be able to easily upload BIG pictures, without it automatically inserting 4 spaces after each image. I want things to upload fast, and neatly, and BIG.

Any new site recommendations?? Or, if you are a die hard blogspotter, any tips? I don't even want to write a post these days because I feel like everything takes too long to make look pretty and what good is a blog, if it's not pretty?

Update: OR can someone tell me how you get the template with two skinny bars on each side and wide in the middle? I don't see that as a standard option. Maybe  I won't leave blogger.com. I realized when I changed my border that I do not really want to have to learn the new tricks of a new site. UNLESS that new site is SO awesome. Thanks!


LindsB October 5, 2009 at 8:20 PM  

I'm interested to see the answers here because I HATE how long to takes to make things look good...ok not good but at least be able to publish.

How was your weekend?? Did you go to that sale?

Emily October 5, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

I was just adding you to my bloglist and love the updates you made! Totally agree with you and I got so fed up trying to make my blog look good that I quit and just work on the content. Guess I'll get to it someday.

Like Linds, I also can't wait to see what you learn here. I am so technically challenged!

Jeannine @ Small and Chic October 5, 2009 at 9:57 PM  

If you do some poking around in your code, you can widen your blog to take advantage of bigger pictures. I have never understood why blogger's default templates are so narrow.

There are some inexpensive blogger templates you could use. For as little as $40, you could have a nice redesign that's easy to tweak in the future.

LeslieJ October 6, 2009 at 10:13 AM  

i like the new banner! blogger is hard but let me tell you, i've found wordpress even worse.

Deliciously Organized October 6, 2009 at 10:16 AM  

I love your new banner! The only thing I know how to do is google the codes to manipulate the html coding. Is that what you mean? You literally have to play with it for a while to get columns the size you want. For instance, two columns, one on each side, with a wider middle. You have to change the size in your HTML. Does that help at all? I agree though, it takes forever to make things look at least look some what pulled together.

Design Esquire October 6, 2009 at 11:05 AM  

I think all your new updates look great!

I had someone help with designing mine, and she was super cheap. You're probably more advanced than me though, so you can probably do it on your own with a little guidance. Good luck, and I would love to hear what you learn.

Laura@JourneyChic October 6, 2009 at 4:53 PM  

Love your clean new look! I moved everything over to wordpress.com about a year ago and it went pretty smoothly. Since then I've tried a few different templates and have finally found "the one", although in retrospect I think I would have preferred the freedom of wordpress.org.

pve design October 7, 2009 at 2:56 AM  

I love Bryn, she helped me with my blog, did an upgrade and I love it....That said, it is like decor, always a work in progress, adding, and editing!
She is on my blog roll, Bryn Alexandra.

Lili October 7, 2009 at 3:47 PM  

I SOOOOO AGREE!!! I want to screem every time I go in to edit or update and it makes all the font TINY!!! What's up with that!!! Let me know if you figure anything out.

Blueprint Bliss October 7, 2009 at 7:13 PM  

I'm right there with you. I need a blog update... header, etc. I'm just too lazy. And I have no idea how to 'play' with html codes. That's greek to me.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP