Sew Low

>> Tuesday, September 22, 2009

In my never ending search to find a great fabric store in Boston, I headed out to the Sew Low last Friday. It was an interesting experience. If you like garage selling, thrift store shopping, or treasure hunts, you may actually enjoy shopping at this store. I made about 3.5 laps. I had decided prior to my arrival that I was not going to leave empty handed. I found some nice grey wool and brown suedish material on the very bottom of a stack of fabric on the $2.99/yard table. It took some work to dig them out. I think they may have been the first to go on that table in the late 90's.

Somehow I ended up paying $4.99/yard. I pointed to the sign and said "oh, I got that from this table." Response: "It's wool" I wanted to reply that I knew no one had casually laid it on the table because it was under 25 other fabrics, but it was Friday and I was ready to go home.

I could find some use for these

And there were lots and lots of good solids to choose from

In real life I would never buy this fabric (stretchy = waaay to hard to sew for me) but the colors were pretty

I could find a fun craft for this green dot.
Now the lipstick kisses over the city grid...that might be a stretch.

This is also a VERY random fabric, but doesn't it have potential to be the most gorgeous drapes ever! I see pretty pillows too. Someone go buy it! It's in the massive row of fabric to the right when you walk in the store. NOTE: take a big, calming, deep breathe before you walk into the store.

And this was a pretty damask, only $4.99!!

I thought this would be usable in a girl's room. Bedskirt?
Is purple in or out right now? I can never keep up.

And this little corner had some usable goods. I think the most expensive in this grouping may be $6.99/yard.
So, despite the clutter and more clutter....there are some things to find in this store. And the prices are great. Just brace yourself, it's no Purl Soho.


lsadler September 22, 2009 at 7:45 PM  

Had I known about the whole "new town, 3 friends, small apartment" situation I would have totally invited you to the Twilight slumber party. Glad you found my blog!!! I think you and Brooke need to stop showing off with all your creativeness. Makes the rest of us look bad.

Sweet Nothings September 22, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

i LOVE the polka dot fabric. i buy fabric and then it sits in my house. i never know what to do with it. i cant exatly do a lot of DIY

LindsB September 22, 2009 at 10:02 PM  

I need to get over there, I will have to take drugs before I go inside, but overall it looks like fun. Maybe if I go with a buddy it would be easier to go through- well have to make plans to get over there tomorrow :)

Blueprint Bliss September 23, 2009 at 9:02 AM  

I love a fabric store that makes you feel like you are going to have an anxiety attack when walking inside!

Laura@JourneyChic September 23, 2009 at 11:29 AM  

Oh my - that place looks insane. Never heard of it, though. My mom's still mourning the loss of Fabric Place. I spent oodles of time at their Framingham store when I was a kid.

I've given you an award today! Stop by to check it out. See you tonight!

carlee September 23, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

Thanks for sharing! I didn't even know this place existed! I will have to check it out!

Kristin September 24, 2009 at 7:32 PM  

What a great find! I'm sure you will find all sorts of good fabrics in this store while you are in Boston.

annelise September 25, 2009 at 8:51 AM  

You made me laugh. This is way better than I expected! I'm running by the mall today maybe I'll swing by Sew Low.

KatyO! September 28, 2009 at 2:34 PM  

I have to check that place out!! looks like a great find!

Anonymous,  February 19, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

The prices on trims (bead fringe, tassels, etc.) are unbelievably low. That alone is reason to brave this store! The OP is right, though, about "flexible" pricing. I was there with my friend last weekend, and she was trying to get 6 yards of a ticking that had been marked $3.99/yard. When she got to the cutting counter, they told her it was $5.99/yard. But, they charged her only about $30 total, which means she got it for about $4.99/yard. When she got home and opened out the fabric, she discovered they'd given her 7 yards instead of 6--which means she got it for about $4.30/yard. So, the store has a weird pricing policy, but you can get great stuff there for very little money.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP