Found the Alarm

>> Monday, September 14, 2009

I am a purist designer. Always have been. I understand why Frank Lloyd Wright wanted to design everything from the house to the placemat. If someone would let me, I would too.

Little things bug me, throw off a whole space. A contractor forgot a drywall reveal in the last commercial space I designed. It bugged me so much I almost made him rip out the whole conference room ceiling. Then I took a breath and realized that no one was going to miss it but me.

In residential design, one of my peeves is alarm clocks. You need them. Everyone needs them. But usually I think they are very ugly and throw off and entire bedroom scene. Have you noticed that in most photographed homes, the alarm clock is always conveniently out of sight?

For two of the last three months I had convinced Mr. Sabbe to use his phone for his alarm clock. A couple of weeks ago his phone alarm didn't go off and he had to start a 38 hour work day showerless. He was not happy and informed me we would be getting a real alarm STAT.

Later that day I came across an alarm clock his mom had given us before we moved. It's the Bob from Brookstone and it has become the perfect compromise. It hardly bugs me at all.
It's also kind of fun. It bobbles. And because we have this nice little ledge, zoe doesn't bobble it onto the floor.... like she did in our previous house....which is why it was in a drawer.
In craft related news, I made the bolster you see out of some $5 fabric and a body pillow from Target. Cheapest fill ever and it fits perfectly across our bed.

11 comments:

LindsB September 14, 2009 at 7:44 PM  

oh man, I would not want to be you the morning he got up late :)

Glad to see an alarm clock that is pretty and works in the bedroom. Also- where did you get that fabric, I LOVE it!

High-Heeled Foot in the door September 14, 2009 at 7:51 PM  

Love that fabric! I have some of it as well and it's going in my office!!

Sarah :) September 14, 2009 at 11:46 PM  

I agree with you about the alarm clocks. I think the bobble really works in your room. And the pillow is awesome. You should fly to MN and help me decorate my house - PLEASE!! :)

Lauren September 15, 2009 at 8:10 AM  

I love your room! Kitty always gives the best shots! :0

My hubs had this aweful alarm/radio clock that he got OUT OF THE TRASH when he was in Jr. High (yes, nobody else wanted it). He loved it so, but I secretly switched it out for a new one that matches the decor in our master bath. Thank goodness he loves it! :)

Emily September 15, 2009 at 11:36 AM  

I completely agree with you and I actually use my phone as an alarm. Have never been happy with the regular alarm clocks by the bed. Not sure why!

Love the pillow also...great job!

Jud and Bevin Nave September 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM  

Oh- I so feel your pain- it's not so much the alarm clock itself for me but the additional cord that bugs me. Since my nightstands are open....one lamp cord is enough. I'll stick with the phone:) Sorry to hear good simple design made Mr Sabbe late:( .....hope Boston is treating you well. Nevels said she had an awesome time in your new city on her visit.

Laura@JourneyChic September 16, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

I've got a cat, too, and if my alarm ever failed he certainly would not. :) I like that new alarm of yours - very cute!

christina September 16, 2009 at 10:25 PM  

I love that fabric! Where did you find it for $5? I think I have a swatch card for one similar from Mitchell & Gold.

Lili September 17, 2009 at 4:16 PM  

I continue to be wowed by your madd design skills!!! Please come do my place!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP