The Birth of Venus

>> Monday, September 1, 2008

This was good. This was really, really good. There was never a dull moment in this addictive tale of Florence during the working days of great artist like Michelangelo and Botticelli. I realized I have never perceived these artists as real people and have never thought their works to be far from divinely inspired. This book depicts quite the contrary. It tells of a very dark time in Florence, who once stood as the Babylon of her day. The author forces you to feel the loneliness, fear, hatred, lust,corruption, and sin of a city on her way to destruction.

Keeping the above in mind I will note that this book is probably rated R. But I'm not sure you would experience all of the above without the full content of the book. I think it would make for a fabulous book club discussion. Although I might be embarrassed to be the one to suggest it.

If you have had any Art History classes in school or have traveled to Italy, this book is a must read.

Here is Mr. Sabbe and I in Florence back in '04, before I was Mrs. Sabbe. I can assure you our story was G rated.

Whew...look at that hair and those white legs! It was definitely not one of my most quaffed months.


We're no Michelangelo, but we left our mark on Florence as well (don't worry, you were supposed to write on the wall)

Anyway, read the book- it's good.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP