Easy Baby Quilt

>> Sunday, August 31, 2008

So I have this baby shower coming up this next weekend and I've been going back and forth between several gift ideas. I, being the procrastinator that I am, have waited until 7 days before the shower to actually make something happen. I've been wanted to dip my foot in quilting for a couple of months now, but am aware that this is no 2 hour task. So I came up with a quick one hour baby quilt project that I think turned out very cute.


Materials Needed:
3/4 yard of pattern fabric
3/4 yard flannel fabric
2 packages of double folded bias tape
Thread
And here is how you do it:

1. First pick out a front fabric that has some sort of varied patten to it. I chose this striped fabric, which from afar kind of looks like a quilt already. Other fun patterns could be like this, or this, or this. I got my fabric from Hancock's and I'm not sure who designed it.

For the back I chose a solid pink flannel. Very cosy and I wanted it to be solid so that you could see the stitching I would add to make it "quiltish"


2. I cut one rectangle of each out. My dimensions were 20" x 35" but you could do whatever size you would like. Then I set my machine on my favorite stitch pattern (see the scallops) and I went down every pink and green row. If you machine doesn't have fancy stitch patterns that's OK. Set it to a zigzag stitch, that would be just as cute.


So the I took the brown double fold bias tape I bought and I ironed it open to make for a thicker border. I like using this instead of the baby blanket trim you can buy because it is less flimsy and comes in more colors.

Note: There are fusible bias tapes out there (which means you can iron your border together instead of sew) I've never gone this route, but let me know if you try.


Then I placed the pieces around my big rectangle and cut the corners to a 45 degree angle. Then, like you would do when sewing a pillow, you sew the inside faces of your 45 degree angles together. Then flip them back out, push those corners back to their point, fold into frame shape and iron.


You slide your big middle piece into the picture frame and stitch around the border. Again, I used my favorite stitch.

So it's not technically a quilt...but it's quiltish and it only took about an hour. Which if anyone has craft ADD like me, you'll enjoy this one.

Happy Semi-Quilting!
Sandra Lee from Semi-Homemade would be so proud

If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP