How I Became an Interior Designer: Part 3

>> Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Losing momentum here, y'all. When did blogging become so hard? But I am back, because I think this next little bit may be the most helpful piece for anyone who is doing any sort of career soul searching. It's a wordy post, so bear with me.


photo by: https://instagram.com/cyndiegoss/

Picking up where I left off, I spent the next four years in college studying interior design (in the space photographed above). The interior design program at UT is under the architectural college and I think most people might be surprised to learn how absolutely grueling (glorious at times) but really, really emotionally, physically, and mentally taxing design school was for most of us. I was once accused of being prejudice against handicap people during a review. I cried. I once had a professor ask me if an ant had walked in ink and then crawled all over my boards. I cried. And then best, the dean of the school taught a lecture where she occasionally made us turn in sketches. At the top of my paper she once wrote "you cannot draw!"...I cried. I cried, we all cried. We stayed up until two am, sometimes all night, all the time. Showers were not a priority. We were gross, sleep deprived, but in the strangest way, having the time of our lives because we all had each other. Those mean old professors knew what they were doing. They were preparing us for the real world. And the real world was about to be really rough for me.

So I graduated and despite all the criticism, which I think lightened up as the years went on, I somehow made it out of college thinking I was the bomb. The market was tough but I got a job with one of the larger firms in Nashville in their corporate interiors department. I think it took me approximately 36 hours in the real world to realize, NOPE I was not the bomb, and approximately zero people thought I was the bomb. I was slow at CAD, I was not well versed in deciphering building codes, and the worst part, assigned to work full time with a designer who I did not meet during my interview and to put it mildly, was not a good fit for.

The first year out of college, similar to the first year in design school, was so rough. I cried. all. the. time. The book The Devil Wears Prada had just come out and it was like therapy to me. I was not alone. I remember sitting at my desk at 6 o'clock one evening, most everyone had already left for the day. I had been given a set of red lines (marked up drawings that needed to be corrected in the computer) by a more senior designer, right after lunch that day. She said "I need these finished, stamped, and on my desk by 5". I was already scared of this lady and knew the task was nearly impossible (at least for me) but I wasn't asked, I was told. So I sat for the next four hours, no restroom breaks, no water breaks, head down...clicking...clicking...clicking.  4:30, I'm finished. I plot the drawing. Get it stamped. Get it signed.

I think I got the sheet on her desk by 5:10. She snatched it, huffed a dismissal, and I sheepishly walked back to my desk and...you guessed it...criiiied. There was only one guy still in the open office area where I resided at this point and he came over with a beer in hand (where did this beer come from? I have no idea) but he sat it on my desk and very plainly said "don't cry. she sucks" and I laughed, through my tears (which I agree with Dolly Parton, is the best emotion) My boss, the head of our department, called me into his office 10 minutes later after getting the full run down from my personal Anna Wintour of just how terrible I was. He began the conversation with "don't worry, we're not going to fire you".

I remember my head spinning, thinking, "FIRE ME! why are we even discussing firing me!? I come early, I work late. Yes, there has been a huge learning curve for me from school to real world, but fire me!? I'm 22 years old and I'm really, really trying here."

And that's where I'll stop today. I promise the next chapter takes a nice turn for the positive. BUT I have always wanted to share that little sad time in my career (it went on like that for a straight year) on my blog because I think it's easy to look at projects on Instagram or designer's portfolios and think that it's always been just one big escalator moving up. Not the case for me at all. If IG were around in 2004 mine would have been a nice rotation of this...
and this...
And ain't nobody want to follow that. But to all you talented, under-valued, poorly managed new graduates out there thinking of jumping ship and taking the LSAT, hang in there. It's going to get better.

17 comments:

Christy Spearman April 15, 2015 at 6:25 PM  

I love this - not because I went to design school but because my 24 year old daughter went through the same thing her first year out of college. She landed a great job with a big corporation and then got a big dose of the real world dumped in her lap. She would call me on her commute home after work every day in tears. She has toughed it out and has learned so much - I am so proud of her. Thank you for sharing your story! Dolly is pretty much always right in my book!

Mary April 16, 2015 at 8:14 AM  

I feel like I want to give you a hug.
It takes a strong, smart woman to learn from her experiences.
And look at you now! I wish I could give you the keys to my home, leave, & let you have your way with it. You would call me when you're done so I could then come home. Yep...I would trust you that much.

courtney April 16, 2015 at 5:36 PM  

Ditto to EVERYTHING Mary said. No really, everything.

Devyn Earls May 22, 2015 at 2:56 PM  

This was a great post. Thank you! If you are interested in seeing mine, you can look here: Home staging company

Ashutosh Kumar July 7, 2015 at 1:36 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wheelchair July 29, 2015 at 7:43 AM  

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.

Wheelchair Shower

Keep Posting:)

motiur gewexhibition August 13, 2015 at 11:18 AM  

thanks for your awesome post.i am very interested to your post so i liked your very informative post. Some days ago i had fine out a this related site and here has many online support.
interior design

Wheelchair August 22, 2015 at 5:11 AM  

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Wheelchair Recliner Price

Keep Posting:)

Wheelchair August 28, 2015 at 2:49 AM  

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Wheelchair Recliner Chair

Keep Posting:)

Alissa L. Minehart March 14, 2016 at 11:48 AM  

YES! I can 100% relate! I am having PTSD relating to all of these posts on your Interior Design path! Thanks for the laughs + honesty!

Ashish Kher May 25, 2016 at 7:51 AM  


Thank you so much for the great post. I loved reading through the comments about the greatness of your work. Great blog to bookmark!
Exhibition Stand Contractors Dubai

Richard C. Lambert June 29, 2016 at 8:42 AM  



Losing momentum here, y'all. When did blogging become so hard? But I am back, because I think this next little bit may be the most helpful piece for anyone who is doing any sort of career soul searching. It's a wordy post, so bear with me. www.surreyinteriorexperts.co.uk

Stuart Spindlow July 27, 2016 at 3:31 AM  

Thanks for sharing such an informative article. I really enjoyed it. Please visit http://goo.gl/tc7nLX

Unknown August 31, 2016 at 7:28 AM  

Hello there! I found your blog using on Google. This is a really well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. I’ll definitely return. Thanks for the post.
Tricycle Handicapped
Double Hand Handicap Tricycle

Keep Posting:)

تسويق الكترونى September 3, 2016 at 6:01 PM  


المهندس للتسويق الالكترونى
شركة تنظيف بالرياض
شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف واجهات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مساجد بالرياض
وايت شفط بالرياض
شركة تنظيف قصور بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركة تتنظيف شقق بالرياض
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
شركة دهانات وديكورات بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض
شركة عزل اسطح بالرياض
شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض
فنى كهرباء بالرياض
شركة تركيب سراميك ورخام بالرياض
شركة تركيب نجارة الباب والشباك بالرياض
شركة ترميم المنازل واعمال البناء بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة تنظيف مساجد بالدمام
شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف واجهات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالدمام
شركة تنظيف قصور بالدمام
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالدمام
شركة دهانات وديكورات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالرياض
افضل شركة تنظيف بالرياض
افضل شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
افضل شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض
شركة تنظيف سجاد وموكيت بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة تسليك مجارى بالدمام
شركة عزل اسطح بالدمام
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام
شركة نقل أثاث بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بخميس مشيط
وايت شفط الصرف الصحى بالرياض
شركة شراء الاثاث المستعمل
المهندس
المهندس
المهندس

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP