Thankful

>> Wednesday, November 21, 2012

I am thankful for so many things this year, but one thing that stands out to me today is how thankful I am to be living in Boston. I have wanted to live in a big city my entire life. And as the winter creeps closer and closer it's easy to begin to dread the more difficult things, like shoveling your car eight months pregnant. But today I want to reflect on how thankful I am to be living in such a wonderful city.

Some highlights for me include...

1. Riding the T with my little man who is currently obsessed with "choo-choos". It used to be a necessary evil, but now it's like taking him on an adventure just going where we need to go.
2. Living in a .2 mile radius of a grocery store, Starbucks Neighborhoods Cafe, movie theater, dry cleaner, art store, restaurants, train and as of last month a Marshalls! (something I never would have cared about in the burbs)
3. Walking through Beacon Hill at night when it is snowing. It's like being on a movie set.
4. City Gardening.
5. Wandering around the South End and Back Bay imagining who lived in those buildings and what life was like 100 years ago.
6.  Day Trips! Everything is so close together in New England. If you wake up and want to maple syrup in Vermont, you can drive there. Weekend trip to NYC? no problem.
7. Hearing the roar from Fenway stadium when the windows are open in my living room.
8. Mike's Diner.
9. Walking down the Esplanade.
10. Falls that feel like Fall and Winters that feel like Winter.

And I could go on and on.

3.5 years ago we came to Boston for a weekend to look for apartments (the photo above). Since then we have moved three times and lived a lot of life. If you know anything about the path to becoming a physician, or being married to one, you know it's easy to always live in anticipation of the next phase of life;  when we have more money, when we have a bigger house, when we live closer to family. I am total guilty of occasionally falling down that path, but today I am thankful for the awareness of what a wonderful season of life we are currently living in. I am thankful for today.

Happy Thanksgiving!

12 comments:

deliciously organized November 21, 2012 at 12:25 PM  

i really miss boston and y'all.

happy thanksgiving
xoxo

Emily November 21, 2012 at 1:19 PM  

oh gosh i miss that city! wonderful post Stephanie and i'm so glad you love Boston as much as I do. Hopefully i'll get up there to meet baby #2 when he/she arrives!! happy thanksgiving! xx

Danielle Oakey Interiors November 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM  

Such a great post! We didn't get an interviews in Boston, boo! We were really hoping to experience living in that amazing city, I guess we will just have to visit.

I am also trying to enjoy our current situation, it is SO hard to not want to fast forward time about 5 years...but I am sure the next 5 will be great as well.

Happy Thanksgiving!

karen brown November 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM  

i agree...we are 7 years in and living in boston is pretty great!

Anonymous,  November 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM  

Reading this post made my day.
Your thoughts about living in the moment are so true and really hit home. I too lived in Boston for four years in a lovely apartment right on Charles st., just south of Cambridge St. I loved every minute of it and miss it very much. Boston is a very special city, and Beacon Hill is magical. Your blog is always a great read:)
Happy Thanksgiving!!

pve design November 22, 2012 at 5:30 AM  

Wow, your post really hit home today.

Indeed, as I have arrived at a spot in my life, I look back fondly remembering that tiny studio apartment in the city and today I reflect how far we have come. Our twins will be 20 in February and as I have switched over the rooms and purged and de-cluttered - memories of phases came rushing back to me.

One thing I have learned is to enjoy the moment and making memories is something I am thankful for.
As we host Thanksgiving today for 4 families in our home I read Proverb 31 - which inspires me to rise early, to work with love and honor for my family.

Wishing you and your family many blessings in all the many phases of life.
pve

WanderingLili November 26, 2012 at 7:33 AM  

We talked about the same things this thanksgiving. I've always dreamed of living in a city like Boston, New York, or Paris where you just feel ALIVE! Hope you're well! Miss you!

kthappy76 November 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM  

Boston is such a great city. I love living in Chicago, but I think about my years in Boston often. Enjoy it! :)

Marianne November 27, 2012 at 12:14 PM  

I have always wanted to visit Boston. Some day I will get there and we can finally meet in person!

LindsB November 29, 2012 at 9:55 AM  

You cant ever leave Boston now- it would be a sad, sad city without you friend! I'm thankful you moved here!

Caroline December 7, 2012 at 12:43 PM  

I am just catching up on your blog...I haven't read blogs in at least 3 months! The last part of this post really rings true- I can totally relate. The other day I shared your sentiments...so grateful to be where we are. My husband (family medicine resident) is also in the Air Force...which will add on about 4 more years of "where will we go next?"

Love following you on insta! Laughed out lout at the pics of your snoozing hubby the other day- again...I can totally relate!

Caroline Shook

Keyse December 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM  

thats such a cute picture! glad you are here :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP