Kindle Crash = Thoughts on Stuff

>> Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Two weeks ago I turned on my beloved Kindle to find a striped screen (I swear I didn't drop it). After an hour on a chat line it was confirmed that it cannot be revived. I am a firm believer that these days electronics in general are programmed to spontaneously break after certain amounts of time. And it's a tough scenario for anyone who is consciously trying not to be a mega consumer. I read blogs like THIS and I want to be like that. I want to want less stuff.  But to be honest I am so far from there. I love stuff. But in making an honest effort, I took my $50 Target boots to the cobbler last week because other than the holes in the heels they are fine. Guess what, the cobbler wanted $60 to put new heels on them. What the heck!? I'll get new shoes. Why is it so hard to live simply and not consume, consume, consume? I can be kinder to my Kindle this time, but I'm not sure I can change the way I walk.

And in keeping with my consumer instincts, I found something else to buy to assist me in giving this second Kindle a better chance at longevity. Have you guys seen these?

 They are so cute it hurts. 
I know, how could you not?

But in the end, I have challenged myself to make my own and only use things around my house to do so. Although, I'm no martyr. I have enough fabric in my stash to quilt over the entire state of Massachusetts. This is a baby step and there is a good chance I will hate it and ask for one of the above for Christmas.

What about you? Any epiphanies on making stuff last longer?
Or how do you avoid the seduction of shiny new things? 


Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP