Design Out of Reach

>> Thursday, January 12, 2012

There was post yesterday on Apartment Therapy that feature a home tour entitled Sarah's Supremely Stylish West Village Home. Unlike most AT post, I found myself reading the text. The home owner, Sarah, made a comment about Design Within Reach not so much being within reach and it made me laugh because it's so true.

Don't tell him I told you so, but Mr. Sabbe and I have been watching a lot of Gossip Girl lately. When we burned through Friday Night Lights in record time we had to find another show on Netflix instant, and whether or not you are into teenage drama, you have to admit, the lifestyle of the Upper East side is fascinating. I have done a little bit of work in New York and therefore have spent a lot of time in some very nice, comfortable homes...a far cry from the scary rat holes my friends moved into after college. And somewhere between the rat hole and the Upper East side I got the notion that we Sabbes could move to New York if we wanted, and live wherever we wanted, and it would be beautiful and cozy and I would be Lily van der Woodsen (minus all the husbands and sub-par parenting) and so on and so on. Then one day I had the realization that just like Design Within Reach for many people, a 3 bedroom, with a kitchen and dining room, on the Upper East Side is most definitely never going to be within our reach.

And I'm totally ok with that because I am equally fascinated with this couple in Maine who lives beautifully on $20,000/year. But honestly, my chances of getting Mr. Sabbe to go off the grid and start whittling furniture are about as good as getting him to drop a cool 6 mill on the apartment above.

11 comments:

pve design January 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM  

I always admire how you reach high and low.
pve

samara florus January 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM  

My husband and I are Gossip Girl fans too; he gets a little embarrassed when I tell people :)

Samara

Amanda Hill January 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM  

Oh marble...be still my heart!

Anne Read (Collect 5) January 13, 2012 at 10:21 AM  

That's so funny about DWR actually not being within reach! I've thought that before myself. Love Sarah's home!

www.collect5.blogspot.com

annie January 13, 2012 at 9:41 PM  

DWR...how did they even come up with that name? The three things I have from DWR will be in my home forever...CB2 is a good option, but doubt I would want to have it in my home forever.

Kelly January 13, 2012 at 11:48 PM  

Thanks for visiting me back! Ha ha. No stalker worries. I tracked you down on Pinterest tonight anyway...

To answer your questions, right before I had our little guy I had an internship at BDH&Young. Before that, my string of jobs included working in the residential field for a developer, and positions as a design assistant at both Susan Hoffman Interior Designs (MN) and Paul Berg Design Associates (UT). After the little man's arrival I never went back to work. I toy with the idea, but the longer I wait, the harder it seems to get to be able to convince myself to leave the little man for a career. Plus, my heart is torn between pursuing commercial or residential. I have strong reasons to do either. I do think of going out on my own though, but I seriously thrive in the studio environment... How's being out on your own? Have you returned to work yet? (Btw, if you want to message me directly you can shoot me a note at kelly@hellodesignmeetlife.com.)

Marianne {Style For Living} January 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM  

DWR is definitley out of reach for most people. I love to mix high and low, but it still has to be within reach!

Holly January 14, 2012 at 1:54 PM  

I'm with you on the fascination with the UWS - I'm fascinated with NYC in general (but I don't watch Gossip Girl). So true though what you wrote here!

Haus and Home January 17, 2012 at 7:26 AM  

We are a big fan of Gossip Girl here too! XOXO. I have my NYC dreams too!!!

Alice K.McNichols February 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM  

You actually make it appear really easy along with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something which I feel I would never understand. It kind of feels too complex and extremely large for me. I'm looking forward on your next post, I will try to get the grasp of it!
Pfizer Horse Strongid C 2X

Rachel February 24, 2012 at 9:59 PM  

you could be the fabulous nyc designer of this apartment - i promise!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP