Design Out of Reach

>> Thursday, January 12, 2012

There was post yesterday on Apartment Therapy that feature a home tour entitled Sarah's Supremely Stylish West Village Home. Unlike most AT post, I found myself reading the text. The home owner, Sarah, made a comment about Design Within Reach not so much being within reach and it made me laugh because it's so true.

Don't tell him I told you so, but Mr. Sabbe and I have been watching a lot of Gossip Girl lately. When we burned through Friday Night Lights in record time we had to find another show on Netflix instant, and whether or not you are into teenage drama, you have to admit, the lifestyle of the Upper East side is fascinating. I have done a little bit of work in New York and therefore have spent a lot of time in some very nice, comfortable homes...a far cry from the scary rat holes my friends moved into after college. And somewhere between the rat hole and the Upper East side I got the notion that we Sabbes could move to New York if we wanted, and live wherever we wanted, and it would be beautiful and cozy and I would be Lily van der Woodsen (minus all the husbands and sub-par parenting) and so on and so on. Then one day I had the realization that just like Design Within Reach for many people, a 3 bedroom, with a kitchen and dining room, on the Upper East Side is most definitely never going to be within our reach.

And I'm totally ok with that because I am equally fascinated with this couple in Maine who lives beautifully on $20,000/year. But honestly, my chances of getting Mr. Sabbe to go off the grid and start whittling furniture are about as good as getting him to drop a cool 6 mill on the apartment above.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP