The Namesake

>> Tuesday, March 1, 2011

As I mentioned in a previous post, our little guy will be named after his great-great grandfather Remi. Yesterday afternoon I received a very special package from Bryan's Grandmother Alice. She put together a book of family history which includes a great deal about Remi Sabbe, his wife Irma, and their journey to build a life and family together in the United States. It is such a special gift, I thought I would share some of my favorite pieces.


Below is Remi with Bryan's grandfather Albert. I love that he is riding a tricycle! I think I am going to enlarge this and frame it next to the art I posted yesterday.
 Remi, Irma, and little Albert.
And this is Remi and Irma, holding baby Michael, Bryan's dad. He was their first grandchild.
Remi will be the first great-grandchild on this side of Bryan's family. I'm excited to add his story to the book. Thank you Grandma Alice for all your hard work in creating this very special keepsake!

15 comments:

Vicki @ Piccolo Takes All March 1, 2011 at 11:41 AM  

That really is a priceless gift! And it's amazing — I can totally see the resemblance to Bryan, especially in that first image!!!

Erin Jackson March 1, 2011 at 11:46 AM  

Very very cool and I love the name!

pve design March 1, 2011 at 12:03 PM  

What a lovely gift to have for Remi and a nice tribute to his namesake. Alice must be so proud to share this history!
pve

lizziefitz March 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM  

I am so impressed. That is the most considerate baby gift. I love learning about family history. I even noticed the interior with the graphic floral curtains. That pattern would fit in perfectly 2011. Thanks for sharing:) I read my daughter your comment and she said, "@Two weeks! Ha!

Britt March 1, 2011 at 1:54 PM  

How cool that you were able to get some photos and information on your little guy's namesake! I love the name - very unique and a great family tie. I agree, the photo with the tricycle needs to hang somewhere in your nursery with your other tricycle art!

Anne Marie March 1, 2011 at 2:58 PM  

Wow, such a neat story! I am a Detroit girl and love hearing the so many stories of people who started off their American Dream there. My grandparents came from Scotland and settled in the same area in the early 1920s. My husband and I were married on Jefferson in Grosse Pointe last November!

Honeybee Ministries March 1, 2011 at 3:32 PM  

Wow....that is awesome. I love hearing anyone's life story really...to be able to look back on it like that (and with pictures)...especially when it's a family member. It also makes me think of one of my favorite passages...Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. -Psalm 90:12

And I love that name!

LindsB March 1, 2011 at 4:38 PM  

such a cool book- what a wonderful thing to have for Remi!

Speaking of, and I don't mean this to be morbid at all, but what if he was born on the same day that his namesake died, just 59 years later? That would be totally cool!

Eates-A-Lot March 1, 2011 at 5:57 PM  

This is by far one of the coolest things I've read in a while.
What an awesome gift to Remi.

I'm loving the nursery!

Jessica March 1, 2011 at 8:31 PM  

What a special thing to be able to put in his room. I love family namesakes!

Rambling Renovators March 1, 2011 at 10:04 PM  

That is so special. What a wonderful gift you've received! The photo will look great with your art.

Erin March 3, 2011 at 12:50 PM  

That is crazy that Remi looks like Bryan and Kyle.

Marianne (Style For Living) March 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM  

I absolutely adore this story. What a lovely tribute and a great name!

Haven and Home March 13, 2011 at 8:41 PM  

What a handsome man to be named after. What a special gift to receive.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP