Sewing Class {a maternity shirt}

>> Thursday, February 17, 2011

The first project  I completed in the advanced sewing class I am taking was the chair cushion. I finished it in 2 class sessions, out of 8 total, so I had to come up with another project on the fly. So right before class a couple of weeks ago, I grabbed a shirt of Mr. Sabbe's and decided I would give alterations a go. Here is what the shirt looked like before. I used this same shirt, but different pattern. He has a billion.

note the shoulders (hanging off of my shoulders) and the super long arms
 AFTER: We originally intended to add elastic to make it gather, but my teacher said at this point (of my pregnancy) I should probably just leave it. So I just added a belt.
The most major thing I learned was how to ease a sleeve. I am no longer scared of sleeves, darts, or minor alterations.

I think I will get a lot of use out of this for the next six weeks! Six weeks! yikes!


Heather J February 17, 2011 at 11:33 PM  

Hooray for a successful alteration. It looks great! Good luck with the next 6 weeks!

Allison {Live Love Small} February 18, 2011 at 1:10 AM  

how cute do you look! great job on the alterations...

Vicky @ Pearl District February 18, 2011 at 1:23 AM  

Wow! Great job!!! What a difference! I would of never though of that! Six weeks will fly by dear! :) Enjoy your quiet nights :) I hope your hubby is enjoying your attention cuz he aint getting any after six weeks! lol Well,,,not as much anyway ;)

Blessings to you! It's sooo amazing to be a mommy!!!!


pve design February 18, 2011 at 6:33 AM  

You look darling and I loved wearing shirts like why did I not think to add a skinny belt!
The "Creative Inc" book is en route....for more crafty ideas...for you!
blessings to you and your bundle!

lizziefitz February 18, 2011 at 9:05 AM  

I have a feeling you will be using your new alteration skills a lot! It costs a small fortune to have clothes altered. You look adorable in your "new to you" shirt. ^ weeks!!!!

LindsB February 18, 2011 at 9:05 AM  

you are so friggin cute I cant stand it!

Lili February 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM  

Oh wow! This is REALLY CUTE!!! But I am not an advanced sewer, so I'm not sure my attempt would look nearly as good as yours! Well done!

bryn alexandra interiors February 18, 2011 at 1:54 PM  

oh my gosh sooo cute!

I wear my husband's shirts all the time (not pregnant). But that's one of the perks of having a husband an inch shorter than you.. no alterations required :)

meg @ DIY Maternity February 27, 2011 at 8:22 PM  

Oh my gosh you look so adorable!! Great job on the alteration, it looks like the shirt fits you really well now - and I love the addition of the belt! XOXO

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP