The Age Old Question

>> Monday, January 10, 2011

What to do with the tv?
I came across this image a while back. Is it not a perfect composition?

Flat screen tvs make this a much easier battle than it used to be. A shallow tv stand, like the one above, is typically what I go with when working with clients who rent...or have no clue what kind of structure, if any, is in the wall they want to mount to. I am also a big fan of creating compositions with the tv. Although I no longer find it necessary to shut it away in a cabinet, I really strive to keep the tv from being the main focal point in a room. But the larger they get, which is the down side of the flat screen, the harder that becomes.

Is this a battle/ design challenge in your house?


Allison January 10, 2011 at 11:15 AM  

We decided to go for a projector instead of a flat screen tv. The screen rolls up, mostly out of sight, and we put the projector away when we're not watching movies. There wasn't much of a difference in cost, but it might not be the ideal solution for people who watch a lot of tv.

Kate {domestikatedlife} January 10, 2011 at 11:38 AM  

this is THE debate, constantly in my house.

I've just "compromised" around tv and speakers... i wish my home looked like a magazine, but at the end of the day, we both have to live in the space!

And as much as I complain, I really do like watching Glee on a big tv with lots of surround sound :)

Noelle at Gray Paint Decor January 10, 2011 at 11:43 AM  

I love that pic! I'm trying to solve this problem for a friend now by installing a gallery wall, but her tv is huuuge!

Nichole @ Parlour January 10, 2011 at 12:11 PM  

Ummmm, yeah. We have a 42 incher. It's big, black, and necessary. But, it does seem to suck the life out of everything around it. I think just trying to incorporate it into the design is the key. But, sometimes, that's easier said than done.

Rebecca January 10, 2011 at 12:31 PM  

I have a very similar set up as the one you describe: a shallow bench with interesting pieces around the tv to try to take the focus away from it. Luckily my husband isn't obsessed with big tvs (!) so we replaced our bulky box with a modest 27" flat screen last year. People do say that we should have a larger screen for our room, but I don't want my living room to turn into a cinema!!

And that picture you've posted is just perfectly balanced. Love it!

Haven and Home January 10, 2011 at 1:59 PM  

Yes, that is a great combination. I have lost the battle in my house, boo.

Anabel Fournier January 10, 2011 at 7:22 PM  

So good that I find this post. Just moved and need to buy a piece of furniture to solve this same problem. Thank you for sharing!

reineayiti January 10, 2011 at 8:54 PM  

Thank you so much for posting this question Stephanie, this is exactly what we are struggling with now!

reineayiti January 10, 2011 at 9:10 PM  

Also, I do think the shallow bench looks great, but what about for those of us with toddlers?! I just don't think my kids would be able to not touch it...Although I looked over at HouseTweaking which has beautiful kid friendly decor ideas and I see that she has hers lower to the ground but I don't think that is a real option for us.

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss January 11, 2011 at 8:47 AM  

I'm wondering how this subject will go in the new house!

Britt January 11, 2011 at 1:37 PM  

I love the idea of making a TV just part of a composition -- it blends in very nicely.
We dealt with this in our house. My husband insisted on having a huge TV and hanging it above our fireplace. So I made a deal with him that he had to build me a frame to disguise it. I painted a canvas to fit inside the frame, and now it just looks like a somewhat bulky framed painting above our TV. Not a perfect solution, but better than a "naked" TV :) (Photos in my project files if you're interested.)

Naomi@DesignManifest January 11, 2011 at 7:50 PM  

Good point on it being part of a composition. I really like that its off center. Still easy to see, but my eye went to the art first!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP