DIY Ottoman: Phase 2

>> Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Remember the storage ottoman I started a couple of months ago? Well step one was easy. Step two (upholstery) proved to be a little more challenging. My first attempt was with a faux white leather. It looked terrible, too thick. I added buttons to the top, terrible. After looking and looking for an alternative, I finally came upon this orange bamboo fabric in the $5 section at Freddy Farkles. I thought it would work for the meantime. Now that I've got it on there I actually really like it. Mr. Sabbe likes it too. He keeps saying "it's so much cozier in here" and I remind him that the difference between a raw plywood box and an upholstered plywood box in your living room can be quite transforming.


The corners are still not my fave, but I'm not up for a third try any time soon. Mr. Sabbe added those slider things to the bottom of the feet, which are also not my fave, but he's cautious like that and I love him for it.The best thing is, our entire guest bedroom fits inside. All for less than $50.

10 comments:

Rebecca October 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM  

Oh, it's lovely! I can't believe you made it from scratch - that kind of thing would cost a fortune in a shop! I love the colour.

I'm up for some DIY now I have more time on my hands... I really want to paint our laminate kitchen cupboards. They are currently fake wood (light colour) which I don't like, but we can't afford to replace the kitchen. I found this cupboard paint that is meant to work on that kind of surface. My husband doesn't seem too convinced though.. Do you have any experience with that kind of paint? I keep teasing him that one day I will set off a paint bomb and our entire home will be plastered in white paint :D

Allison October 12, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

Wow, this is amazing. I have been forever on the hunt for a new coffee table, and I love the look of this! I might have to take your advice on pestering the guy at HD/Lowes to make all those cuts for me. The project would be even less for me, because I have leftover plywood from my headboard.

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design October 12, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

Looks great!! Definitely a job well done on the DIY front!

Design Esquire October 12, 2010 at 1:29 PM  

That's awesome! It looks great. I love the punch of color it brings to the room.

Lili October 12, 2010 at 2:02 PM  

Oh my!!! I think this one ranks as one of your best crafts ever!!! I just looked in the PB book and an Ottoman of this nature is $300.00!

Danielle Oakey Interiors October 12, 2010 at 3:36 PM  

what a great idea, i love that your guest bedroom fits in it!

LindsB October 12, 2010 at 5:09 PM  

too funny, i have almost bought that fabric like the 3 times i've been there- I loved the orange color of it! So needless to say I love it! I think your guestroom needs a guest, when should we have a slumber party?

Emily October 13, 2010 at 8:20 AM  

i LOVE it! fabulous job and it looks like you bought it like that. bravo!

Anna Liesemeyer October 14, 2010 at 10:35 AM  

It looks amazing!
I love the colors you used.
Thanks for sharing this project!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP