In New York

>> Thursday, July 15, 2010

So I told you yesterday that I hear a quote from Friends every time I see lobsters. Well every time I go to New York I hear this song. What can I say, my life is a combination of sound bytes and top 40 songs. Heather, maybe Shane can make me a CD!

I came to New York yesterday evening to work on a mini install for my project in Tribeca. I say mini, because we are only about 25% complete, but my client is having a party and so we are working towards making our in progress design look as party ready as possible.

No progress shots yet, but I do have some photos of one of my favorite New York memories. The first time I visited New York City was in 2005. I had started my first job with GS&P in the summer of 2004 and my mom invited me to join her on a business trip the following winter. I was beyond excited. I heard architecture and design talk all day long and one of the very popular projects at the time was the Christo Gates.

The first day, while my mom worked, I walked around the city by myself. I remember feeling super big time. On my way to the Guggenheim I spotted the Gates, and proceeded to feel even more big time that I was getting to experience something in real life that everyone in my office had been talking about for weeks.

They were kind of weird, I know, but the point was getting to see it first hand. And it was not until later, when I saw some aerial photography, did I understand the amazing concept behind Christo's design. They were permanently imprinted on my brain as a representation of my first trip to New York City.

Later on that year a vendor came through the office and gave all of these designers this little scale.
 Do you know what it is?
So cool right!? And I have managed to not lose it for 5 years. And that's a lot for a person who, in that same 5 years, has lost a passport, credit card, drivers license, and approximately 1 million hair bands.

10 comments:

Catherine July 15, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

Is it weird that those remind me of the new at&t commercials where the orange drapes start to cover the whole USA? :)

explorateur July 15, 2010 at 8:55 AM  

I remember those gates! I still have my pictures, too. Maybe.

Emily July 15, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

I love the story! It's funny you mentioned those because i remember going to an exhibit about the gates. no idea for the life of me where it was but i remember all the prints for it. amazing.

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime July 15, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

The Gates was(were?) so cool! My bro took some amazing photos too. And he brought me back a small swatch...wonder if I still have it!

Trish July 15, 2010 at 1:21 PM  

That's such a great story! I missed the gates and I'm still a little sad about it.

If you're still in an Empire State of Mind...check out this public school choir's version. The CUTEST! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSf1Xudapyk

Deliciously Organized July 15, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

What an awesome story. And of course you still have it! Who could lose that!

Heather July 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM  

That's funny! Be expecting a super awesome cd :)

LindsB July 17, 2010 at 1:24 AM  

That is so cool! What a great connection- I cant wait to see it myself in your new office!!!!!

Brooke July 17, 2010 at 10:41 PM  

Hmmm.... I have a Knoll scale just like that.. that I've had for about 7 years. I need to find it... will be so upset if I have lost it!

Lili July 19, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

Ok this is a non design opinion, so take it for what it's worth. They remind me of that AT&T commercial that's on these days...

"Day light comes... And it was beautiful..."

You know the one? braging about their coverage. Do you think this is where they got their idea?

Ok want to say more but can't cause there is a screaming baby in a car seat that is demanding to go for a ride!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP