Curtain Refashioning

>> Thursday, April 23, 2009

I have been meaning to post my little curtain makeover for about a month now.

I have had mixed feelings regarding curtains for the past 5 years. I had an architect spout off to me about how terrible he thought curtains were during my first year working at an architectural firm in Nashville...he also hated crown molding...I now see he might have been a bit extreme. I'm not nearly as easily influenced now and finally {a little late} decided my living room needed some curtains. Knowing that I was about to leave the house {and window treatments stay} I didn't want to spend a ton of money. The previous owner had left me some very nice Pottery Barn silk panels.

When I moved in and started decorating I decided to take them down for 4 reasons:

a.they were a bit dark and traditional for my taste
b. I'm not a big fan of the scrunchy type tops.
c. I didn't want to hide the pretty detailing of the window frame
d. I was still not over Zack's "curtains are not cool" comment

Here they are in the previous owner's living room


So I went and bought some cheap {$20 for 2} panels from Walmart, which were hilariously short on my windows...my husband even commented before I was finished You're not going to leave it like that are you? I took one of the silk panels, cut it into two and added to the bottom of the white panels.

And ta-da...two panels, 80ish inches long...for $20!

I've stashed away the other panel in hopes that I can do a project re-do in my next place of residence....which, by the way, will be in BOSTON! More on that later.

But this is totally the way to go if you have big windows and like this look.
Two straight rows of stitches = totally custom curtain panels.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP