Being Mary in a Martha World

>> Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Last week I mentioned a little bit about hospitality and I wanted to quickly elaborate/encourage a bit on the topic this morning because it is something that has been on my heart and oddly enough has been topic of a couple bible studies I join in on. My Tuesday night group is reading a book called Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. What a great book title right?! I think we all struggle with this one, and I would assume the blogging world is especially suspect….I read your blogs! You women do everything. You are mothers, wives, crafters, chef’s, and some of you also manage a 40 hour work week on the side. I can’t say I keep my schedule much more simple and I do not even have children…if you notice I said multiple bible studies. I have a real problem with the phrase “thanks, but I think my schedule is a little full right now”….I think the word is overcommitted.

If you know the story, Martha is hustling around getting a meal ready for Jesus and his disciples while they are staying at her house. In the midst of her dishevelment her sister, Mary, is smittenly sitting at Jesus feet soaking up his every word. Martha, in all her efforts to make things perfect, lashes out at Mary by demanding that she join her in the kitchen and Jesus replies that “Mary has chose the better thing” .Thus the title of our book asks us, How do we find time to be still with God in our everyday life while also maintaining the crazy schedules of our everyday life?

So our discussion last night on this topic was wonderful and the women of the group were able to offer some amazing insight on how they have both struggled with and tackled this issue. Then I go home and go to bed, wake up bright and early for my Downline class…and low and behold they are discussing the same topic! They even used our book as a reference. Crazy! So I wanted to share a bit of scripture they gave us that I think is a great one for all of us overcommitters to marinate over.

1 Peter 4:8-11
“Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and power forever and ever. Amen”

I’m encouraged! I had to share. I literally gain wisdom out of every word in this passage. Hope you can too!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP