The Glass Castle

>> Monday, February 18, 2008


I just finished reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I had seen Walls on Oprah (becoming a theme on this blog) a few months ago and didn't realize that she was the author of this book until I was about half way through.
I thought the book overall was very good. I am originally from West Virginia and still have a great deal of family who live in rural parts of the Appalachian Mountains so situations and stories she describes rang very close to home for me.
The story, narrated by Walls, describes a nomadic family on an endless journey around the southwest in search of money, food, and fulfillment...none of which find them with ease. When resources run out they return to the hometown of their alcoholic father in Welch, WV. Through seemingly endless disappointment Walls perseveres to become the author I saw on Oprah. It was a very touching and miraculous story- Good Read.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP