>> Thursday, April 22, 2010

I have had visions of buying an old piece of furniture and having it re-upholstered for the past two weeks. We are in the market for a couple of new pieces and we've decided we are too old to make any more "until we have money" purchases. I also walk past a glass front upholstery shop everyday on the way to work. Which for me is like a candy store.

So in my mind we have three options...1. cough up the big bucks for a nice new sofa from a reputable retail store (while begging them to give me the deepest designer discount possible) 2. have something made in Hickory and have it shipped up here (in my opinion, the best quality guarantee) 3. buy something old (and solid) on ole' Craiger's list, strip it down to the frame, and put it back together.

Here are some CG finds that I see potential in, all under $50
And these are not so old, but really good deals if you are looking and are not creeped out by other people's upholstery. I kind of am, but I'm creeped out by a lot of things.
Leather I think I might be able to do...seems more cleanable. This guy is only $275
And just to show you the range of my visions. I can imagine a room where this guy would rock...
Boston, did you know you can have your furniture upholstered at the prison?


Saara @ GEORGE Interior Design April 22, 2010 at 11:36 PM  

I'm right there with you and the "too old for 'when we have money' purchases"! I'm slowly attempting to swap out cheapo stuff in our living room for "grown up" furniture. :) So far a sofa and chair/ottoman have been bought. I'm also with you on the creepiness of craigslist upholstered pieces, but really after having them redone they should be clean clean clean. Can't wait to see what you decide!

Design Esquire April 23, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

Wow - great tip for the Boston area. I had no idea. I would love supporting people that are trying to learn a skill and get their lives back on track.

Good luck with your search. I'm having similar internal debates about bedroom and dining room furniture. I can't wait to see what you end up doing!

upcydown April 23, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

Oh man, leather sofa guy is killer! In a good way. I too am a little grossed out by 2nd hand upholstered items (even as a dedicated upcyclist), but this one has nice clean lines and doesn't seem too fruffy to be catching weird things. I know you could really do a lot with it.

Annelise April 23, 2010 at 10:14 AM  

have you seen this?

brb going to the prison

LindsB April 23, 2010 at 12:07 PM  

I love the last one- I think in the right room this would be perfect!!

If you head over to the prison to get something done let me know. I saw that on Chronicle and I've wanted to send something there because i think its such a great idea!

Julie @ Chapman Interiors April 23, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

Holy moley, that last trellis print sofa would be AMAZING in the right space!! Love it.. now, if I just lived in Boston and had the right space.. haha..


Blueprint Bliss April 24, 2010 at 7:00 PM  

The lovely chair and ottoman from Craig's List- I just bought that exact thing for $25 and had it reupholstered for the nursery. My reupholster remade the back cushion for me and only charged $150--- yes, for chair/ottoman/new cushion. Unbelievable.

~M^2 April 24, 2010 at 11:01 PM  

We are thinking about doing the same thing! cant wait to see what you do! and keep us posted on all the details- costs, labor, issues ya know the "good" stuff lol

Amy @ Varnish April 30, 2010 at 4:37 PM  

I would totally be rocking that prison upholstery system! It's your tax dollars at work.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP